Help please! Relocated from Wyoming!
    Katiandrews is offline Junior Member Newbie

Exclamation Help please! Relocated from Wyoming!

This is long and complicated and I'm apologizing in advance for that. At the end of January my husband and I made the collective decision to leave where we were living in Wyoming. Our daughter, who is 5 attended a public school. Compulsory age in Wyoming is 7 so we were not legally mandated to have her in school. We traveled for roughly a month and a half before settling in South Carolina. We became official residents March 1st. With the understanding that the compulsory age for kindergarten is 5 here I have been trying to get her re-enrolled in school. I would ideally like to homeschool her for the remainder of the year if not next year as well to ensure that she is not falling behind. What are my options? If we homeschool through the summer will that make up for the month and a half she missed and fulfill the legal 180 day requirement? Is that even an option?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Help please! Relocated from Wyoming!

Specific circumstances like this often are often open to interpretation. It will probably be up to the school to which she is transferring. Most public schools will enroll a previously homeschooled student at the grade level that corresponds to their age.

If you want to homeschool her, I would simply notify the school district that you are homeschoolers who recently became residents. Here are South Dakota's homeschool laws. (Disclaimer: We are not attorneys, homeschool laws change frequently, and you should take care to understand your state's current homeschool laws.)

To homeschool in South Carolina, you must have at least a high school diploma or GED and teach at least 180 days per year. In addition, you must teach the following required subjects: reading, writing, math, science, social studies, and, in grades 7–12, composition and literature. (Kelly's Note: The state does not specify the content of these subjects, so it is up to you to decide what "writing" means in your home school (creative writing? essays? keeping a journal?). It is the same with the other subjects . . . As long as what you are teaching can reasonably be called "science", then the state does not tell you what science content you must teach.)

1. Obtain approval from the district board of trustees.

Contact the board of trustees of your local public school district for information about their homeschool application process, and submit an application. The board “shall approve” your application (it has no discretion) if you include in your application assurance that you have completed or will complete the steps listed below.
    Here is what to do if your application is rejected: You may appeal decisions made by the board of trustees to the State Board of Education within 10 days. An appeal from the state board decision to the family court must be done within 30 days.

2. Teach the required subjects for the required time.

Your curriculum must include the required subjects listed above. You must teach your child for at least 180 days per school year. A school day is at least 4.5 hours, not counting lunch or recesses. (Kelly's Note: Homeschoolers often have vastly different schedules than public school students and it is very common to school throughout the summer. Also, things like Scouts, 4H, piano lessons, Little League, driveway basketball with Dad, Scrabble with the family, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking and auto mechanics count as school hours. Just keep a calendar with big squares for dates and write things on it like "badminton with brother, P.E., 45 minutes" or "learned to make cookies with Mom, Home Ec, 1/2 hour" and so forth. A kindergartner will not spend more than an hour or so per day on her online lessons.)

You might be interested in this article called How Long is a Homeshool Day?

3. Maintain records.

As evidence of regular instruction, you must maintain the following records for inspection upon reasonable notice by a representative of the school district:

1. A plan book, diary, or other written record indicating subjects taught and activities in which you and your child participate.
    2. A portfolio of samples of your child’s work.
    3. A record of your child’s academic progress assessments.

(Kelly's Note: Time4Learning reports keep track of all computer graded work. The reports include percentage scores and amount of time spend on each activity. Here is a page about Maintaing a Homeschool Portfolio When Using Time4Learning.

4. Submit a semiannual progress report.

You must submit a semiannual progress report including attendance records and assessments of your child’s progress in each of the required subjects to your school district.

5. Ensure your student has access to library facilities.

6. Test your child annually.

Make sure your child participates in the annual statewide testing program and the Basic Skills Assessment Program. The tests must be administered by a certified school district employee.

I hope this helps you get started! Good luck with all the decisions.

Oh, one more thing. You might find this page about Using Time4Learning to Homeschool in South Carolina helpful.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!