Learning Centers, Museuems, Parks, Summer Camps, Field Trip Ideas and MORE for SD;)
    pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Learning Centers, Museuems, Parks, Summer Camps, Field Trip Ideas and MORE for SD;)

I HAVE STARTED A LIST OF FUN THINGS TO DO IN SD AND I AM HOPING THAT YOU ALL WILL ADD TO IT! I KNOW THERE IS NO WAY THAT I CAN KNOW ALL THE GREAT PLACES TO TAKE YOUR KIDS IN SD BUT HERE ARE A FEW I FOUND FOR YOU TO CHECK OUT. MOST ARE MUSEUMS BUT I WOULD LOVE TO ADD OTHERS TYPES OF FUN PLACES THAT YOU GO TO TEACH YOUR KIDS SOMETHING NEW (just click on the name to get to the home website for each place)

Museums
    Siouxland Heritage Museums
    The Old Courthouse Museum and the Pettigrew Home and Museum are two of the best ways to experience history in the region.. 200 West 6th Street, Sioux, Falls, (605) 367-4210)

South Dakota Discovery Center & Aquarium
    Provides interactive exhibits and hands-on science activities that are fun and educational.
    805 West Sioux Avenue, Pierre, SD 57501 (605) 224-8295

South Dakota Art Museum - Brookings
    Since 1970, the South Dakota Art Museum has been a place for people from many different parts of the world to enjoy the artistic legacy of South Dakota in all its diversity. Permanent galleries, changing exhibitions, publications, lectures, workshops and guided tours provide the public, artists, university students and faculty with a variety of opportunities to learn about art and engage in the centuries-old dialogue between artist and viewer. The Museum features 6 spacious galleries, the Museum Store and the Kid's Sensation Station.

Learning Centers

Reptile Gardens
    Features the world's largest reptile collection, raptors, parrots, orchids 50,000 flowers, and more. Located in Rapid City.

Spirit Mound Historic Prairie - Canton
    Having heard legends of little spirits living at Paha Wakan, now know as Spirit Mound, the Lewis and Clark expedition was intrigued. On August 25, 1804, while the rest of the expedition went on up the river, Captains Lewis and Clark took several men and Lewis' dog, Seaman, on a nine mile walk to Spirit Mound. Seaman, suffering from the heat, had to be sent back to the Vermillion River. Despite the rumors of danger, the men approached the hill and climbed to the summit. The men were deeply impressed by the view.

Parks
    Mina Lake Recreation Area - Aberdeen
    Nestled along the wooded shores of Mina Lake, Mina Recreation Area is is a water-lover's haven with plenty of room for boating, fishing and swimming. When you leave the water, a spacious campground, hiking trail, and several picnic areas will provide hours of family fun.

Other
    Big Sioux Recreation Area - Brandon

Big Sioux Recreation Area lies on the banks of South Dakota's Big Sioux River. Close to both the cities of Brandon and Sioux Falls, Big Sioux is an ideal place to camp when in the area for sporting events, hospital visits or conferences. Big Sioux is popular among campers, canoers, history buffs and archers. When the snow flies, groups of cross-country skiers and snowmobilers gather at the enclosed warming house.

pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

Blog Entries

Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail
    Between May 1804 and September 1806, 32 men, one woman, and a baby traveled from the plains of the Midwest to the shores of the Pacific Ocean. They called themselves the Corps of Discovery. In their search for a water route to the Pacific Ocean, they opened a window onto the west for the young United States.

Richmond Lake Recreation Area - Aberdeen
    Three separate areas in this park cater to the needs of campers, swimmers, naturalists, boaters and anglers. Campers stay in the South Unit, while the 200-acre Forest Drive Unit is a great place for wildlife viewing. The Boat Ramp Unit provides access to the more than 1,000-acre lake.
    pandahoneybee

Blog Entries

LOVE this site for camps for kids. One is in SD!! American Wanderer Summer Camp
    pandahoneybee