1/2 way through public school year, where do I pickup?
    N2aGR8God is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 1/2 way through public school year, where do I pickup?

I'm on my maiden voyage into homeschooling. I just signed up fro my trial period. It should be active tomorrow. My 10 year old ADHD son has spent 1/2 a year in 5th grade and I'm hoping to start homeschooling in Jan 10. But where do I start? Meaning have him start at the beginning of each subject and pound out lesson after lesson until he gets to new information?

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Default Re: 1/2 way through public school year, where do I pickup?

Welcome!!!!
    This is entirely up to you!
    This is my 2nd year of homeschooling.
    Last October(2008) I pulled my 6th grader and we started at the beginning of T4L and were able to work at a pace that got us finished in June. He too has ADHD and with issues at school, lack of teacher help, etc. we were losing him in public school. There were struggles at first but once we got the hang of it..... it was GREAT!
    I pulled his 5th grade brother in Jan. of last year and we started at the beginning for him but his work was double. He is a gifted student and giving him the extra work helped give him the extra to keep his mind going. He too was able to finish in June. But, the pace he had vs. his brothers.... well, my 6th grader would NOT have been able to work at that pace.
    Many families will just do a little extra certain days of the week, some will work thru part of the summer so they can start the next school year on time.
    I think you should print out lesson plans and figure out a realistic and easy start-up goal of what to do daily.
    We do 2 Math, 2 LA and 1 Social Studies daily. We do science 2x a week and LA Ext. 2x a week. Some days when it was a bad, mad day for my ADHD son we just walked away. Whatever schedule you find is easily adjustable. If he is flying thru things, then add more. If he and you are struggling and getting frustrated, then cut it back.
    When my son(s) started I found MANY gaps when learning stuff. This year, there are really little or no gaps because we covered much of the info last year and got them caught up but last year.... let's say I was furious at our PS by the time they were done with their school-year of T4L just because of the lack of knowledge my boys didnt have.
    Welcome!!!! Good luck and keep us posted on how you guys are doing!!!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 1/2 way through public school year, where do I pickup?

Quote Originally Posted by N2aGR8God
    I'm on my maiden voyage into homeschooling. I just signed up fro my trial period. It should be active tomorrow. My 10 year old ADHD son has spent 1/2 a year in 5th grade and I'm hoping to start homeschooling in Jan 10. But where do I start? Meaning have him start at the beginning of each subject and pound out lesson after lesson until he gets to new information?
    Welcome! I am so glad you're here Congratulations and welcome to homeschooling. I started by "guessing" where I thought my children were and then letting them try the chapter tests. If they could pass we moved forward or backward until I thought we had found the place they were ready to begin. I always start a little below where my child actually is so they can get the "feel" of it first.

HTH,
    Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/