142 IQ / Looking for Resources & Advice.......
    MENSAmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 142 IQ / Looking for Resources & Advice.......

I have a 10 year old daughter that is academically gifted. We've been using T4L for the past year now and we love it !!! I was wondering if anyone knows of other free on-line sources (or T4L resources) that we could use to supplement her homeschool experience ??? Also, I've tried a thousand ways to get local colleges, universities, and community centers to allow my daughter to attend classes offered at their institutions as a temporary student. We've offered to pay full tuition for both my daughter and an adult to attend the class with her, but we're always met with "she's under 14", "she hasn't finished high-school", or "how would the adults feel if she attended?" !!! All we want to try and do is get her in computer web design or foreign language classes. Has anyone been able to successfully enroll their child in this type of arrangement ??? If so, let me know your secret(s) so I can too !!!

MENSAmom

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 142 IQ / Looking for Resources & Advice.......

Community colleges are sometimes more accomodating than universities. Our community college has allowed my fifteen-year-olds to attend, but they had to test at college level in both English and Math first . . . even to take a P.E. class!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

denimay is offline Senior Member

Mensamom.......I don't know where you are.....I think 10 is a little young to be tossed into a college environment....but, I have a friend with a big brain kid who participated in a program for kids just like this...at California State Univ. Los Angeles....they have a summer program and a full/part-time program during the regular school year. The kids attend classes with reg. college students, but they have their own lounge and counsellors/advisors to assist with the social challenges. There is also a special program at Cal State U Dominguez Hills called CAMS....but I think it's just for high-school kids.

I agree with Kelly that you might have better luck with a jr. college....ask if she can audit. For computer classes you might try one of the private schools like ITT........there are private language schools as well...you might check with evening adult ed classes at the local jr. college.

I don't know what your situation is, but there are total-immersion languages classes all over the world that offer classes that include living with a local family....you might consider a family vacation in a country of your language of choice.........I acquired most of my Spanish by attending language schools "on vacation" in Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Honduras. good luck!! deni...........
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

While your daughter may have been bored in a traditional public school environment, I must agree with the colleges and universities that would not accept her for classes at this time. It's great to be excited in your child's potential. [I say that as both a previously bright child who was never pushed and as a parent of bright children who are encouraged to do their best.] Even children with IQ's into the 180's shouldn't necessarily be placed in that position. There is more to college than being smart enough to get in. If knowledge is your intent, why not just spend some extra time at the library letting her pursue her passions or invest in some at-home learning? [For example, one of my daughters is interested in chemistry, so we got her a chemistry set and a few books about elements of the periodic table and Madame Curie. But we didn't march down to the local college to enroll her in Chem 121 because she's a child.] Sometimes, being smart can actually become a stigma and that could cause your efforts with her to backfire. She's a kid. Let her learn by playing. If you're worried about the college credit, she can AP test out of many classes before she's old enough for college and graduate plenty early with a double or triple major, if that's what she wants to do.
    Melissa.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Somehow, I thought she was 14 when I read this initially.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MENSAmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

THANKS everyone for the advice !!! I'm sorry if I came across wanting my daughter to attend college class for credit. That certainly isn't our intent, and we're very careful to let individuals we speak to understand that this isn't what we're looking for. We live in Indiana and programs in the public schools for GT students is minimal at best, and the community has nothing to offer to GT students outside of school. My daughter has already taken courses (with my husband) at a local community center and did extremely well working with adults !!! (The teacher LOVED having her in the class !!!) Unfortunately other children (and parents) didn't behave properly, and this option is no longer available to us. My husband has used your advice to have our daughter attend class in "audit" mode at a local university in their Continuing Education Department, and we're waiting to see if the professor will approve this option......

We really enjoy homeschooling since it allows us to work on subjects at her pace/ability. Eventhough she's ready for higher levels of learning we make sure she concentrates on mastering the basics, understanding the learning process, and not to memorize things just to pass a test. (Everything builds on each other......) Foreign language and web design are her desires for "little something extra". (She's a competative gymnast "living" at the gym 4 days a week, and traveling for competition.......which doesn't leave a lot of time for anything else.) What extra hours she does have she spends on the computer playing games with her friends (while on the web-cam talking, IM, or blogging) and her iPod. She's extremely creative and loves technology !!!

Thanks again for all your help and advice. I'll keep you posted of any success we may have !!!

mandiana is offline Senior Member

http://www.oreillyschool.com/ <--- Your daughter would be able to take web design/programming classes here.

For foreign language, what about Rosetta Stone or http://www.livemocha.com/ ?