15 year old with low IQ
    BoxedNRanch is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 15 year old with low IQ

I have a 15 year old with low IQ. She is not able to think logically, reads at about a 3-4 grade level and does math at a grade 2-3 level. The problem is that she is "with it" enough to know she is under-performing and thinks things like T4L are too babyish.

When I introduce new concepts (we home school), she becomes angry and oppositional. I need to find a way to help her eliminate points of conflict with me, so I am trying to find a computer-based learning program where she can work on her own as much as possible. I am teaching 5 other siblings, so I cannot sit beside her at the computer for long periods of time.

Do you thing T4L might work for her?????? I am desperate.

~Kathleen

mindih is offline Junior Member Newbie

I see you wrote this back in July, so maybe I'm too late in my response...but maybe not.

Every situation and child is unique, so in a lot of cases the best course is one of personal preference. I adopted my nephew years ago and he has been behind in school from the beginning.
    He will turn 15 next week, and is at about the same academic level as your child...although he is not aware of the fact. He doesn't think T4L is babyish, or if he did he would probably just mock it or laugh... but continue the lesson. In your situation, if the material type was an issue, you could tell her that it may seem babyish now...but it is just review and when she can prove that she knows the stuff by passing the quizzes then she can move up to the next level or get some kind of reward. Competition, even with oneself can be good too (beat your last score, time the session, etc.)

Personally I think the visual aid and multimedia helps kids stay focused and be a 'lil entertained at the same time. Worksheets can get real boring. I also find educational shows on Netflix to use as supplemental material. You can also take the things they enjoy (like regular TV shows and movies) and quiz them on it (like what's the plot, ...setting, etc.)

Oh yea, and as someone mentioned before...if you have multiple kids, they can sometimes review work with the others or the young ones can act as the older ones teacher. It gives them a sense of empowerment, but at the same time when they have to actually explain something correctly...they are learning.

Hope this helps. This is my first year homeschooling, and I'm still trying to get more balanced and organized.

reb621 is offline Member

She might also be saying it's "boring" because it's difficult for her (where "frustrating" would be the better word). My nearly 14-yr-old reads at a 3rd grade comprehension level (borderline IQ) and really struggles to understand the 3rd grade science and social studies lessons. I wish these were more like the Language Arts lessons (with talking characters, videos, brief info followed by miniquizzes instead of pages and pages of text with words and concepts mine will never grasp).

The other lessons are silly and may seem juvenile, but I second what mindih said: Challenge her to "beat" her previous scores and offer some sort of reward (extra TV/video or computer game time, etc.) Of course make sure her TV/comp. options are learning-oriented, and she still benefits! (The teaching younger sibs thing doesn't work at our house because my 9-yr-old is advanced and winds up helping her older sister often, which leads to more frustration for her.)

Good luck with your decision!

Joyfulmama is offline Senior Member

My son is almost 12 with various SN's and his IQ is most likely in the MR range although he is high functioning. He is below grade level but he REALLY enjoys time4learning. He loves the animation and it keeps him focussed. I normally use his computer time to fold laundry (I admit it ) he needs some guidance over his shoulder or he will only do the language arts section. Also I do have to read some parts. He can read but on some things I find he needs me to read so he can get the content (like with science) rather than focussing it on the actual reading.