16 year old daughter with low IQ
    KimKat is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 16 year old daughter with low IQ

Hello,

I'm not sure why I'm even writing! I homeschool my children and belong to the Workbox Group and recently learned about Time4Learning. I'm wondering if it might perhaps help us....

My 16 year old daughter has low IQ and I've been homeschooling her most of her education. She has such difficulty understanding so many things. We have been working years on basic things such as telling time, money, subtraction, etc. Lately, I've really slacked off on the academics....I'm a bit burned out and so is she. I struggle with what is too hard for her versus what she just gets worked up over thinking she won't be able to do versus just not wanting to try. Life skills are hard for her so I need to work on those as well.

So why am I writing? I skimmed throuUgh some of these posts and while I didn't see any child as delayed as mine, just wondering if perhaps there was and if Time4Learning helped.

This is what I'm wondering.....since there is much on the site that wouldn't be applicable for her (grammar, etc.), I'm hoping you can just jump around and skip things?

And if there are things from multiple grades I'd like her to try, I only have access to one grade above and one below, correct? Do you have access to everything from these grades?

Thanks for any info anyone could provide.
    Kim

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Kim,

You will never know if Time4Learning works unless you try. They offer a free 2 week trial period so you can test drive the curriculum. I would start her at a lower level and move up as needed. You can skip around on lessons and you can re-take lessons as needed within each subject, and yes, you have access to three levels within each subject.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

vansplic is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi, I have a son with mixed intellectual abilities and just signed up. you can change the grade level as your child progresses (although I haven't tried it) I would start with lower level stuff and let her build on her successes. Building on successes helps to lower frustration levels. We do a lot of life skills work in our home. One resource I really like is http://caseylifeskills.org/pages/res/rsf%5CRSF.pdf . I have worked with Casey Family Programs for many years and like a lot of what they do. They also have a life skills assessment that is based on developmental level (and you can skip questions). The assessment may not be helpful but if you click on the resources tab there is a lot of great stuff there that is free or low cost. down side is they don't check their links often. they can be found at Casey Life Skills . If you have questions about there stuff feel free to ask.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing vanslic!

It is easy to change grade levels. You always have access to three grade levels within each subject, the main grade for your child and the grades above and below it. For example, if you have your child set at grade 3, he will have access to grades 2, 3, and 4. Those three grades are at the top, right side of the page. If you need to change the main grade level for your child, just send an email to T4L and tell them what you want to do. They will make the change.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie