1st time homeschool mom of 6yr old Autistic son in Ohio & could use some advice
    GavinsMom is offline Junior Member

Default 1st time homeschool mom of 6yr old Autistic son in Ohio & could use some advice

Hello everyone! I'm just a little nervous about homeschooling my son for the first time. He is 6yrs old, has been diagnosed with Autism and is very much speech delayed (a 2 yr old has a better vocabulary than he does) therefore we communicate pairing ASL with the appropriate sounds. Don't get me wrong, he's a Mr. Smarty-pants and when I came upon this site, I knew right away that this is something that will work for him. I'd like to hear from others about the materials they are using in addition to this site.
    Also, how do you socialize a child that is as non-verbal as he is? He has been around other children his age, but as soon as he realizes that he's "different" he leaves the situation either physically or mentally. (it literally breaks my heart when I see that pained look on his face and I feel powerless to make it go away and moms are supposed to make the hurt go away right?) Any advice on how I can help him in those situations would be great.
    Thank you

TiJa is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello GavinsMom!

I too have a son with ASD (PDD-NOS). He is 9 now and we have been using T4L for about 4-5 years now and I'm so grateful to have found this amazing resource. We do supplement with other materials such as Handwriting Without Tears, Singapore Math, Horizon Math (using for the first time this year), Explode the Code, Spanish for Elementary School, Wordly Wise and a few other misc. items. The eclectic approach to learning materials has worked well for us and my boy has come such a long way. I know you feel powerless when you see your son struggle in social settings (I totally feel your pain), but continue to give him opportunities to mix and mingle with other kids...even if he goes off to do his own thing. My son didn't start interacting with other kids (i.e. playing tag, imaginary play, general conversation etc.) until about a year ago. He still isn't that sociable around kids his age (he does enjoy his 6 y.o. brother very much though), but he loves to converse with teenagers, especially the girls :P. I try not to get in the way too much and I just let him be him, you know? What is awkward now, may not necessarily be when he gets a little older. Many may disagree with me, but I strongly believe that socialization is best learned in the home from the parents and siblings. As a family you all will teach him social "norms" and eventually he will feel comfortable making outside connections (this doesn't have to happen in kindergarten as some would lead us to believe). So continue to expose him to other children, but let the connections come naturally...As he watches other children interact with one another, one of these days he'll give it a shot too!

I hope this helps comfort you at least a little and I wish you a wonderful school year!