3rd grader needs help
    sarajoturtle is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 3rd grader needs help

My son isnt diagnosed with anything, but he has learning stuggles, so I suspect, I just dont know where to get tested, or if I even want to get him tested, but I wanted to state some of his problems and see if anyone has help

He is pretty good at math, but he does have to use his fingers, and we havent started multiplying or dividing yet, but I would say math is his best subject.

He struggles with reading, more the phonics type stuff than anything because he has an insanely good memory, but he does have bad vision, which I was told by the eye Dr would definitley cause reading problems. He also has really bad reading comprehention. He almost never knows what he just read about after he read it. I think it takes so much effort for him to read it that he cant pay attention to what he is reading. He also doesnt comprehend the story when its read to him either though.

He struggles with writing too, he cant really even write clear sentences usually, he doesnt know how to put his thoughts into words on paper....

He has a really hard time understanding directions, I usually have to explain to him what the directions are asking him to do.

He loves T4L so far, though we just started, but we were doing SOS and he HATED it! So Im so happy to see him actually SMILING while doing school!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Hey, sarajoturtle-
    You didn't really ask a question, so I don't know what you are wanting re suggestions, but I thought I would toss some out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sarajoturtle View Post
    My son isnt diagnosed with anything, but he has learning stuggles, so I suspect, I just dont know where to get tested, or if I even want to get him tested, but I wanted to state some of his problems and see if anyone has help
    Suggestion #1 Get him tested. Some states will provide testing through the ps. In some states you will need to have private testing. Check your insurance and see if it will cover psychological-educational evaluations. Ask your pediatrician if he has any suggestions for testing in your area. Testing will you an idea of what the differences are and what direction to go in to keep as many doors as possible open for your child.

He is pretty good at math, but he does have to use his fingers, and we havent started multiplying or dividing yet, but I would say math is his best subject.
    If he is halfway through 3rd grade, he is still using his fingers, he can't do math beyond basic addition and subtraction, and math is his best subject, I would definitely have him tested. (The only scenario I can conjure where this would NOT be true would be if you have intentionally delayed learning as an educational philosophy- Moore, Waldorf, whatever. If that is the case then he should be moving pretty rapidly now and will catch up with his traditionally schooled age level peers in a few years time.) Also, if he understands the concept of addition and subtraction, but using his fingers has become habitual, I may would look into getting him c-rods, MUS blocks, or base 10 blocks. You can eventually wean him from manipulative blocks, but you can't take away his fingers.

He struggles with reading, more the phonics type stuff than anything because he has an insanely good memory, but he does have bad vision, which I was told by the eye Dr would definitley cause reading problems. He also has really bad reading comprehention. He almost never knows what he just read about after he read it. I think it takes so much effort for him to read it that he cant pay attention to what he is reading. He also doesnt comprehend the story when its read to him either though.

He struggles with writing too, he cant really even write clear sentences usually, he doesnt know how to put his thoughts into words on paper....
    Is his vision now being corrected with glasses? Have you considered vision therapy? Of course, if he is having trouble seeing the page, he will have trouble reading. If he is having to put a ton of effort into just seeing and deciphering what is on the page, then he won't be able to remember what he has read.

As far as comprehension and beginning composition, have you looked at Charlotte Mason type LA programs? These programs will work through reading aloud to a child and having him narrate back to you what was read. Then, you write his narration with correct spelling and punctuation and he copies it. This may help him learn how to listen, comprehend, and put his words on paper.

He has a really hard time understanding directions, I usually have to explain to him what the directions are asking him to do.
    If these are directions meant to be read by a third grader and he consistently can't work through them independently, this would be another flag that would prompt me toward testing.

He loves T4L so far, though we just started, but we were doing SOS and he HATED it! So Im so happy to see him actually SMILING while doing school!
    Home education is certainly easier and more pleasant when the child enjoys the task!
    HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo