4th grader in public school, ADHD, some dyslexia, and other issues (New to site)
    rgvmom is offline Junior Member

Question 4th grader in public school, ADHD, some dyslexia, and other issues (New to site)

I have a 10 yr dd in the 4th grade. She had been a homeschooled child for 3 yrs until we decided that it wasn't working. She has been in public school since Nov. 09' and has struggled from the get go. The school decided to test her and was diagnosed as having a sequencing disorder. According to the report she is significantly weak in listening comp, weak in reading comp, has problems with written exp, along with significant weakness in working memory and perceptual reasoning (abstract, sequential, spatial reasoning). UGH!!! This in addition to having ADHD (kindergarten) and some dyslexia.

Based on all the info provided she is basically in the 4th grade, but working at a 2nd grade 5 month level. They have set her up on an IEP for next yr. (5th grade), but I am not settling for this as I have just signed up for t4l. I am determined that she can and will catch up to her age appropriate level, but it will take time.

I guess what I am asking is this the right path and if we begin working now, and over the summer, and through next year will the extra practice help her? I did set her up in LA and Math on a 2nd grade level. Her confidence is horrible and doesn't believe she can do this.

Looking for advice and support.

rgvmom

mcmary is offline Member

Hi,

Your daughter's learning needs sound very similar to my own daughter's. In my opinion, targeting underlying causes of learning problems requires specialized intervention that is not available in most school systems. Also, one-on-one learning is the best, so I agree that year round homeschooling might be your best option. We enrolled our daughter in a private school at the beginning of third grade that provided one-on-one intensive research-based educational therapy. She made giant gains that I know she wouldn't have made in a traditional public school education where the expectations of her by the end of second grade were very low. Educational therapy teaches a child how to think- it strengthens perceptual and congnitive processes. For more information you can visit www.discoveryprogram-inc.com to find out if there is a private practice therapist near you. We now homeschool (we moved so the commute to her old school was too far). She does attend two periods at our local middle school. She has accomodations (such as we are allowed to scribe for her and read out loud to her sometimes) but otherwise she is in a regular classroom and does the same assignments as the other sixth graders. I truly believe that without educational therapy and one-on-one intervention she would not be at a sixth grade level. You are on the right path- you might find that T4L doesn't fit your daughter in all areas (we are using it for social studies and language arts for seventh grade) but you can only find that out by trying it!

mcmary is offline Member

Hi! I wanted to mention that the other Discovery program site is www.nild.org. Not only will it give you more info about educational therapy but there is a link to help you find out if there are any educational therapists near you. There are a lot in VA!

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about any of this. I'm going to check out the website you provided. So far she is really enjoying the LA and Math. She comes home from school and wants to get right on it. At this point, I think some of it is review for her, but to build her confidence as she progresses doesn't hurt either.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check this one out too.

mcmary is offline Member

I think it's great that your daughter enjoys LA and math T4L so far! Starting at a not-too-challenging level is a good idea- she'll feel confident and see progress. Let me know if you have any more questions about the educational therapy!