about to be 7th grade son with autism and dyslexia- thinking about homeschooling
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robin

Thread: about to be 7th grade son with autism and dyslexia- thinking about homeschooling

tampitt is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default about to be 7th grade son with autism and dyslexia- thinking about homeschooling

Hi,
    I've been thinking about homeschooling since my son was in 5th grade. It was a rough 1st semester for him because of the kids in school. He'd come home upset almost daily for awhile. Things have been better so far this year. He was diagnosed in October with Dyslexia, which was not surprise. He hadn't passed a spelling test that that over 4 letters that he couldn't sound out since 2nd grade. His handwriting is unreadable and he can not compose a paragraph for anything. He's been doing good with the multistory teacher approach that is now being taught, he is on kit 2 out of 7.
    He isn't social at all and doesn't care much for the kids around him, they make too much noise and often aren't nice to him. He used to love school until 5 grade. He just wants to be "left alone so he can learn" what he needs to for school. Math and science are his subjects, he does most math in his head and gets fussed out for not writing it out. He's likely grade levels behind in writing skills.
    He often has a negative temperament at school and one of his teachers calls him non-compliant often. I've tried to explain autism shut downs to her and that if he had problems earlier in the day, he needs time to recover on his own. And also he can't not tell his tone of voice and sometimes sounds grumpy even when he isn't. I'm being told this type of behavior can get him suspended in jr high! A child who follows the rules like they are set in stone suspended because he sounds grumpy to a teacher? His father and I are starting to feel that the school is trying to force him into a mold that he doesn't fit into. He doesn't like all the group participation that is forced on the kids.
    He is happiest at home, playing on the computer or his 3DS. And camping and the outdoors and scouting. I've told him that if we do homeschool, he would have to still do work and learn things and he'd need to cooperate. He agreed that he would.
    From what i've read though the website, i think this might be the right curriculum. I'm thinking about trying him on it during the summer to see how he does.

Robin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: about to be 7th grade son with autism and dyslexia- thinking about homeschooling

It does sound like Time4Learning may be a good fit for your son. My son doesn't have an autism diagnosis, but is very similar to yours. He is happiest doing his own thing and doesn't like the "noise" of friends.

Time4Learning is great because you can choose different grade levels for different subjects.

Welcome aboard and I hope you've found a good fit here!
    tampitt likes this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: about to be 7th grade son with autism and dyslexia- thinking about homeschooling

Hi. My 12-year-old son has Down syndrome, autism, and a variety of sensory issues. I absolutely understand about the "too loud" part. Some kids need a learning environment customized for their needs . . . quiet, dimmer lights, fewer interruptions or additional breaks, etc. My own son has eight ten-minute learning activities he must get through each day, because he has severe cognitive delays and a very short attention span. If that didn't work for him, I could change it to something that does. Homeschooling is great! Good luck with your research.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

tampitt is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks. We have to cut homework into blocks for my son, I'm sure homeschooling won't be much different. If something is too frustrating, then a break is needed to regroup. I do like that i can customize the subjects to different grade levels since his math and science are higher then his language arts.