ADDHD and home-schooling
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jpenn
  • 1 Post By DaKord16

Thread: ADDHD and home-schooling

Angie5 is offline Junior Member

Default ADDHD and home-schooling

Hi everyone, I'm new to Time4Learning, hopeful first grade curriculum will maintain my little ones interested

Suggestions are welcome

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Angie! So glad you are a part of the T4L family. I bet your child will really like the curriculum, and I really bet they will enjoy the "playground". Be sure to check out Hints and Helps and Getting Started with Time4Learning. It will help you navigate the system much easier.

Since your child has ADHD, you might want to take some breaks during the "instruction" time so your child can get up and move around. Also, the supplemental section of the forum might also have great ideas for supplementing anything your child enjoys or has trouble with learning.

Best wishes!
    Angie5 likes this.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

DaKord16 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hi! I'm homeschooling for the first time, too

Hi Angie,
    I began home-schooling in August this year. My 4th grader presents with ADHD and has some other diagnoses. You're not alone. It's interesting to witness her develop and grasp concepts that I just "did" when I was her age.
    I haven't found anything specific to suggest with confidence yet, other than going online and ordering some nice wooden and plastic "manipulatives" to enhance my child's math and spelling lessons. She presents with Sensory Integration challenges and can be a hands on learner, at times.
    I went shopping online, and I guess I shouldn't promote the store name (?) gave me free shipping and $10 off my order of $50 or more if I used my store card, so I made out like a thief! I'm also looking for local home-school groups; I heard joining a Co-op can help to buy things things at a lower price, and just in case you haven't done this already maybe check out Wrightslaw.com for home schooling info in your state.
    Do you use any occupational therapy tools for your child? They help my girl so much while she's involved in a lesson. Good luck with your h.s. efforts!

Quote Originally Posted by Angie5 View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new to Time4Learning, hopeful first grade curriculum will maintain my little ones interested

Suggestions are welcome
    Angie5 likes this.

Red face Hi

Hi

Thank you for responding. And I will take into consideration your suggestions. She is doing well in math, but still struggling with reading which I'm currently prioritizing now. I love home schooler her, I'm sure I'll see her over-coming this eventually. Much blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by DaKord16 View Post

Hi Angie,
    I began home-schooling in August this year. My 4th grader presents with ADHD and has some other diagnoses. You're not alone. It's interesting to witness her develop and grasp concepts that I just "did" when I was her age.
    I haven't found anything specific to suggest with confidence yet, other than going online and ordering some nice wooden and plastic "manipulatives" to enhance my child's math and spelling lessons. She presents with Sensory Integration challenges and can be a hands on learner, at times.
    I went shopping online, and I guess I shouldn't promote the store name (?) gave me free shipping and $10 off my order of $50 or more if I used my store card, so I made out like a thief! I'm also looking for local home-school groups; I heard joining a Co-op can help to buy things things at a lower price, and just in case you haven't done this already maybe check out Wrightslaw.com for home schooling info in your state.
    Do you use any occupational therapy tools for your child? They help my girl so much while she's involved in a lesson. Good luck with your h.s. efforts!

Thank you! will take into consideration your suggestions! much blessings.

LearningCoach2012 is offline Junior Member

Default ADD/ADHD and home-schooling

If you are looking for good parent-led supportive sites, esp on Facebook consider the following: (BTW: I have 5 kids with 2 having ADHD and 1 ADD + I have ADD so I know how hard this can be)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/323297701036705/ Homeschool Co-op and Freebies
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/289566391055449/ Homeschooling Moms/LC's Teaching Kids with Disabilities
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/229207593822472/ Homeschool Moms/K12 Learning Coaches