ADHD son with bad handwriting
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kris S
  • 1 Post By Kris S

Thread: ADHD son with bad handwriting

Kris S is offline Junior Member

Default ADHD son with bad handwriting

I am just curious about this. My son is in 6th grade and has horrible handwriting. I'm working with him on it by using trace letter worksheets but I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem...actually ADHD or not and what was your solution??

-- Kris

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi Kris. I've heard that often boys' handwriting is messier than girls. That's not the case in our home. My sons have neater handwriting than the girls. My youngest daughter has developmental challenges. She's doing middle elementary (different grade levels). She has struggled with handwriting. I found a great handwriting workbook that has really helped her tremendously. The notebook paper is designed to help children with proper spacing between letters and appropriate letter size. It's called RediSpace Paper Transitional Notebook. I've added the link there. It's kind of like the forms we're given sometimes to fill in and we have to put a letter in each block/space.

Does your son have trouble grasping his pencil or does he struggle with hand strength or small muscle coordination?
    If he works with a physical therapist or occupational therapist, maybe they can offer suggestions. Here are some pencil grip helps if he's having trouble holding it correctly, in which case he may be tiring easily when he writes. Also, use your search engine (Google) to search Pencil Grip Helps to get some tips on exercises or other ideas.

I hope that helps.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Thank you for your suggestions. I have ordered both items.

He doesn't have any type of muscle control/coordination issues. I have noticed he holds his pencil really hard until his fingers turn white and then he does complain about his fingers being tired or sore. But if I held the pencil that hard I would have a sore hand too . I think those cool looking pencil grips will help with that.

My daughter is in third and has excellent handwriting so the idea the boys are messier than girls works in my family.

Thanks again for the great ideas.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

I'm so glad you found the links helpful!!
    Janet

Just wanted to give an update to this thread. Using the redispace paper has been great. His handwriting has improved. Still working on it but definite improvement. We used the pencil grip to re-train his hand because they form to your fingers and are a bit flexible. They allowed him to control the pencil without hurting his hand.

A big thank you for the great ideas. I would call it a success!
    cg2 likes this.

Hi Kris. That's great to hear! Thanks for taking the time to come back and update. It sounds like he's made a lot of progress in only 3 months! Happy dance.
    Janet

qeducationsg is offline Junior Member Newbie

Usually bad handwriting is attributed to a smart child. The reasoning is because their thought-processes are too fast for their writing speed to catch up. But if you really want to solve the bad handwriting problem, I suggest using the ruler-method. It's a fast and test-proven method

isign is offline Junior Member Newbie

Have you ever looked into "dysgraphia"? ADHD and a higher intelligence is often associated with it too. It might be worth just checking it out. You can look it up online and compare writing samples from other kids to see if your son has similar issues.

Thank you both for your responses. I do believe that he is quite smart. Not just proud mama speaking, he gets excellent grades and can reuse the information months later. His sister is in the talented and gifted program at public school (now that is proud mama talking).

His thought process is most definitely faster than he can write. I felt that was part of the problem from the start. I stress to him all the time to slow down!

I'm not so sure of the dysgraphia. I don't believe my son has this issue. He has an excellent vocabulary and usually gets A on all his spelling tests. When he types, he expresses himself very well and has a great imagination when it comes to fiction writing. I appreciate the information.

schumacherkristin is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ADHD son with bad handwriting

Quote Originally Posted by Kris S View Post
    I am just curious about this. My son is in 6th grade and has horrible handwriting. I'm working with him on it by using trace letter worksheets but I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem...actually ADHD or not and what was your solution??

-- Kris
    Does he happen to show any issues reguarding sensory? I have read up a lot on sensory processing disorder, and it has been known to be misdiagnosed as adhd or even ocd. One symptom of it is often bad hand writing, also very tight pencil grip and pressing down to hard.

This may not be the case but I thought I would mention it if you wanted to look up sensory processing disorder.
    Last edited by schumacherkristin; 09-17-2016 at 10:09 PM.