Am I just too sensitive?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DrSuzi

Thread: Am I just too sensitive?

treksurfer is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Am I just too sensitive?

Maybe I am oversensitive...I have a dilemma. My son is in 4th grade has Asperger's and emotional problems...official IEP has him as ED, speech and ADHD. This year in a new school they put him in a co-teaching "general" ed class...not thrilled about it as my son is not learning disabled or slow - he was put in special ed due to behavior but was still doing well academically in school. Its hard for me to see him in a class with several LD kids, when he is clearly not. However..now I'm finding out that in the school yearbook when they take class pictures they have both the general ed teacher AND special ed co-teacher in the class picture. I don't want my son publicly labeled as "slow" or "special ed". Am I just being too sensitive about this? I just don't feel this is right - esp when this isn't MY son's spec ed teacher (he goes to a social skills behavior class during the day). Tell me your thoughts....

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

I was in special ed in 5th and 6th grades due to emotional problems. I was in a small classroom with a teacher and an aide. I was at or above grade level in all subjects, but most of my classmates were behind. It wasn't a problem for me, socially or emotionally- there was a good enough teacher/student ratio that my educational needs were met. I was vaguely aware that some of my classmates were using different math and LA workbooks than I was using, but it wasn't important.

We didn't have "yearbooks" but we did get individual and class photos. The teachers were always in the class photos with the kids. Both of the adults in my classroom were in the class photo; it didn't seem to matter much to us who was supposed to be helping whom. All I was really aware of was the 2 adults in the classroom. Why shouldn't they both be in the photo? Both were in the classroom!

Are the kids in the special ed classroom singled out for "having the teachers in the photos" or will all the class photos have teachers in them?
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

DrSuzi is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by treksurfer View Post
    Maybe I am oversensitive...I have a dilemma. My son is in 4th grade has Asperger's and emotional problems...official IEP has him as ED, speech and ADHD. This year in a new school they put him in a co-teaching "general" ed class...not thrilled about it as my son is not learning disabled or slow - he was put in special ed due to behavior but was still doing well academically in school. Its hard for me to see him in a class with several LD kids, when he is clearly not. However..now I'm finding out that in the school yearbook when they take class pictures they have both the general ed teacher AND special ed co-teacher in the class picture. I don't want my son publicly labeled as "slow" or "special ed". Am I just being too sensitive about this? I just don't feel this is right - esp when this isn't MY son's spec ed teacher (he goes to a social skills behavior class during the day). Tell me your thoughts....
    My initial thoughts:
    * how does your son feel about this pic? have you discussed it with him?
    * if a peer would say something to your son about the pic, how will he respond?
    * how does your son feel about this class in general?

If this will bother your son now or in the future, it may be something that you may need to discuss with the teacher/school.
    It sounds as if you are a cautious and thoughtful mama...talk to your son and see his thoughts and feelings about it.

Best,
    lovehmschlg likes this.