Any advice? Texas school systems and special needs kids
    mccament is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Any advice? Texas school systems and special needs kids

I have 2 special needs boys 1 who is almost 5 and would be entering Kindergarten and 1 who is 3 years old. I have been fighting the school system since August for services and have been shot down left and right. Basically I was told that Pre-K is the same thing as OT and if he isn't falling out of his chair he wouldn't qualify for PT. My 3 year old doesn't qualify for services because they say he doesn't qualify for speech and OT and PT are secondary needs. I have decided to seek help in private therapy and have great care now for them both and they both are getting speech, OT, and PT. My 3 year old is just above the autism spectrum and has another disorder yet to be identified. We are waiting to see the endocrinologists. I was just wondering if any other parents are facing the same problems I am. I know other parents in the Bell county are but I wondered if this was a state wide problem. I just don't understand why they would want kids to fail. I have decided to homeschool next year because my almost 5 year old is getting made fun of at school and is bored, plus he has to leave school 3 days a week for half the day for private therapy.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

First of all, I am so sorry you've had to go through all of this. I cannot even begin to imagine how frustrating it must be? (sigh) I do know that we are seeing more and more of this as school funding has become more dire in the last couple of years. I am so glad you were able to seek out help in the private section. I think you will find great success with homeschooling. I can already tell you that you are an amazing homeschooling mama, but by hearing what you've done so far you will do great. It won't be able to help with everything but a couple of great resources for our special needs kids are:

Dianne Craft - Solutions for dyslexia, dysgraphia, and struggling learners.

Learning Disabilities-Free Information, Training and Test Kits

I look forward to getting to know you. (((Big Welcome Hugs)))
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

mccament is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much! It helps knowing other people do understand. I have to go before the school board and show them all that they have done wrong in the next few weeks. He is loving this new system. He is doing the 2nd grade science and is just 4 almost 5. I think this system is just what he needs. I can see smiles on his face and the joy he gets from doing great on the work. I am truly thankful for a system that makes my son happy because he has a hard enough time in life. Thanks for all the help and support.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mccament View Post
    Thank you so much! It helps knowing other people do understand. I have to go before the school board and show them all that they have done wrong in the next few weeks. He is loving this new system. He is doing the 2nd grade science and is just 4 almost 5. I think this system is just what he needs. I can see smiles on his face and the joy he gets from doing great on the work. I am truly thankful for a system that makes my son happy because he has a hard enough time in life. Thanks for all the help and support.
    You are so welcome. Believe me I totally understand. I pray all goes well when you go before the board. Let us know how it goes.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/