Any one else have a child with ADHA ? Tips enclosed !
    cassiedavis@opbincome.com is offline Member Newbie

Default Any one else have a child with ADHA ? Tips enclosed !

Does anyone else here have a child with ADHD ?
    If so what are some if the thing you do to keep your child focused ?
    Any advice tips, tricks, things you have tried that did or didn't work.

here are a few things i do.

1. my son does much better sitting still if he has something in his hands, old keys, playdoh, stress ball, even something as simple as a rock.

2. Counting and ABC's ... he likes to bounce a ball, jump rope, hop on one leg while counting or going over ABC's I have even used this for days of the week.

3. Keep book and work sheet work to about 15 minutes in length. Take a break and come back to it for another 15 minutes.

4. Sometimes if he is really full of energy I make a game out of reading. I sit at the end of my hall way with the book and a egg timer. And set the timer for a 1 min ( or whatever i think it may take to read the book) Then I tell him that he has xxx time to read and run. He has to read a line ( or repeat it after me ) then run to the end of the hall way where I will have a small stack of flash cards with some simple words that are in most books like the, a, I , and, etc. and he has to find a word that was in the line we just read. Run back and read the next line.etc He loves this because we are not just sitting and reading.

5.Have a snack while doing his book or worksheet work. Something that is not messy like apple chucks.

6.Walkie talkies - we use these a lot . I play games with him over these like say the letter that comes next I say A and he has to come back with B. I ask him to count to 10. etc he loves to talk into this and I reserve them for this type of play only so that is a big plus. ( oh and he gets to hide from me while we talk )

well I hope these help everyone. I would love to hear any ideas that are out there on different ways, games, etc to help kids that have a hard time focusing and those with ADHD and other disorders.

- Cassie

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

I like the walkie talkie idea.
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

cassiedavis@opbincome.com is offline Member Newbie

Thanks , I got the idea off a T.V. show and altered it to fit our needs for home school.

macey39_0607 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Any one else have a child with ADHA ? Tips enclosed !

Wow I really do think it is great that you have all these tips. I have problems getting my daughter that is 7 to do her school work but then again when I get her to do it. It is like she just can't stop and she just does so much it is hard for me to keep up with her sometimes. My daughter is ADHA and Bipolar with just a touch of Autism at least that is what the doctors say. I need to keep her more focused on her school work but thats all she wants to do is play on the computer with her sims games. any suggestion.

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

When my son was way younger (he has adhd, my brother, a doctor, thinks he has a touch of autism too) and learning his ABC and counting, between roughly between1-4, we taught him by doing these things:

we would bounce him off the bed and count, he would repeat it. After 3-4 times he could count to 10 on his own and then we would increase it to 20. To keep his interest in counting some of the games we would play were: Counting the cans in the aisle in the grocery store, how many fruits like apples we were buying, (reading numbers on the signs too).

For spelling and reading: we put a sign on many things in the house, like a sign CHAIR on the chair then after a couple of weeks I pulled all the signs and had him go around and place them on the objects. We also would speak like this, "Get ready for bed B-E-D bed, got it?" and he would reply "B-E-D got it'" after awhile it became "I want a D-R-I-N-K, do you know what that is mom?" and I would reply "Yep lets get you a drink." He has become a better speller then I am now.

ABC's we drew out the letter so that he could make an animal out of it, sang while being pushed on a swing, scavenger hunts, using food, abc cookie shapes

As he got older, I made board games. I painted over old board games with missing peices and created my own spelling, math, history, science ect... board games, I created cards and used the peices from other games. It helped a lot.

Some of the way I help him now at 14 to focus on his studies: Chewing gum, music, he is allowed to pace or work standing up, a quiet room to work in with little distractions, we start his school day later since he does better if he can sleep in, he is allowed to take breaks when he needs it, bought a bouncy workout ball he can use in the basement to help, he is allowed to read upside down hangin off the couch with head on the floor, he is allowed to tell me answers or take his time with worksheets to write (writing is an issue with him). And we find as much computer work for him as we can since he works better with it then traditional items. I still try to find games that are educational and fun, our new game is Are you smarter then a 5th grader.

We also use the rubbing a rock or messing with playdough to keep his hands busy or even to this day I will find gashes in my old desk because he found a tool to mess with and wasn't paying attention to how he was messing with it while doing his T4L life with adhd
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

Macey is it the sims game from EA? Like Sims 2 or a different simulation game? My kids play the sims and so do I. I made a lesson plan involving the Sims game that my kids enjoyed. If it is that game I can tell you what I did to make it part of school.
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

MOMMY24 is offline Member

Wow, you have alot of great ideas and tricks. I'm not quite as creative, but I have come up with a few things to make school work a bit easier for us both.

My 8 year old "hates" school work of any kind. He's still struggling with his reading, and has a fit about writing. I try to make it more interesting for him by...

...utilizing the computer. We have an older program called Ultimate Writing and Creativity Center, by The Learning Company. He can choose his own background, colors, and illustrations and then "write" something he's interested in.

...having him spell out his spelling words using glitter glue, paint, letter stamps or stickers. We also use sidewalk chalk outside to spell our words, or even to help with counting. Remember hopscotch? In the summer, we will also do some of our spelling in the sand on the beach.

...a couple of weeks ago we also started using the post-it notes. We labled many things in our family room and kitchen, and have been slowly moving the "lables" onto one wall so they memorize the actual words and not just the "things" they are on. This seems to be working well.

...We are also working on a story. My sons love anything that has to do with "space, the final frontier!". So, my 8 year old will narrate a paragragh of his "space" story to me, and I will write it on the board. Then he will copy it from the board to his paper. This helps build his creativity, teaches him to tell a detailed story in order, using transition words as I remind him of the punctuation rules and what not. I encourage him to write it as neatly as he can and then count it as penmanship as well. We will do a paragragh a day, and add to it daily to make it into a complete story. It's not a perfect method, but it serves our needs for now.

My 7 year old will work on Time 4 Learning upstairs, and I will work one on one with my 8 year old downstairs in our "classroom". The quiet and calmness seems to make a big difference. In the past, even just having his brother there in the room with him was a major distraction. T4L has been a God send for us! It's like there are 2 of me. Each boy has his very own instructor.

Stacey
    (mommy24)

Mo Agahi is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks to all of you for your ideas! When we moved to China I decided to home school my 12 year old DS. His public school in Arizona was pretty accommodating ADHD as far as allowing extra time for tests and such, but their discipline consisted of detention from recess (counterproductive in my opinion). At any rate, I'm finding that he is behind his Time4Learning grade level in math, so it's great that we have the option to slide down a level and catch up.

One thing DS has asked me is if there are any T4L students his age that he can correspond with. Here in China he hasn't met any kids his own age, and he hasn't learned that much Chinese anyway. He's terribly homesick! Are there any provisions for T4L students to communicate with each other, as the parents do?

Mo
    Mo

[i]Education is essential and all standards of training and teaching throughout the world of mankind should be brought into conformity and agreement...[i] ('Abdu'l-Baha)

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I have LOVED LOVED LOVED this thread! What incredible idea's!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/