Any Visual Learners Out There??
    ergon4 is offline Member Regular

Default Any Visual Learners Out There??

We were so excited to learn about T4L for my highly visual (also dyslexic and OCD) son. Finding the right homeschool curriculum for him was a roller coaster ride, but T4L has been a godsend. One of the biggest struggles for highly visual learners is learning and retaining the basic mathematical facts. I've written an article on teaching math to a visual learner which T4L has included it on their site. You can view it here .

Hope it will be a help to any of you who are also homeschooling highly visual learners!
    Raising homegrown geeks...one laptop at a time. Check out my Topsy-Techie blog at http://topsytechie.wordpress.com/

NewLifeAcademy is offline Member Regular

Our daughter is also dyslexic but does not fall into the visual learner category. I was surprised she liked the format of T4L at first but then realized it satisfied her auditory learning style with music and various character voices that she's come to love. It must be the creators of T4L knew how to satisfy all types of learners. dmc

Linn is offline Member Regular

Your article is very well-written and informative ergon4! My son is a visual learner so the information in your article is very helpful to me. I'm glad T4L put it on their site.

Linn

Juls is offline Junior Member Newbie

I homeschool 2 children, one is ADD & the other is severly Dyslexic. I have had tremendous success with t4l with both my kids. My Dyslexic son for the first time in his life is able to work independantly and my ADD child can actually get through a lesson without getting up! I love it! I just don't know what I am going to do after 8th grade???

hans is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Juls
    I homeschool 2 children, one is ADD & the other is severly Dyslexic. I have had tremendous success with t4l with both my kids. My Dyslexic son for the first time in his life is able to work independantly and my ADD child can actually get through a lesson without getting up! I love it! I just don't know what I am going to do after 8th grade???
    I have a 13 year old dyslexic boy who I am pulling out of math at his school because he has an awful math teacher who doesn't understand his learning style and is absolutely confusing him. I am going to home school him and use Time for Learning for math, but I am concerned that he won't get enough repetition. I am not capable of teaching him math. I am curious if you are using another math program in addition to TFL for your son.
    Thank you,
    Brenda Hanseler

hans is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Any Visual Learners Out There??

Quote Originally Posted by ergon4
    We were so excited to learn about T4L for my highly visual (also dyslexic and OCD) son. Finding the right homeschool curriculum for him was a roller coaster ride, but T4L has been a godsend. One of the biggest struggles for highly visual learners is learning and retaining the basic mathematical facts. I've written an article on teaching math to a visual learner which T4L has included it on their site. You can view it here .

Hope it will be a help to any of you who are also homeschooling highly visual learners!
    Are you using other programs in addition to Time for Learning for your son? I am worried that Time for Learning doesn't have enough repetition to help a dyslexic retain the material.
    I have a thirteen year old son who I am pulling out of math at his public school. He has an awful math teacher this year who doesn't understand anything about his learning style and is confusing him. I am going to homeschool him. I need a program that he can teach himself on and get occasional outside help if needed. Is there a program that will compliment the Time for Learning program.=?
    Thank you for any help you can give me.
    Brenda Hanseler

ergon4 is offline Member Regular

Default Re: Any Visual Learners Out There

Brenda,

It is true that the material is not repetitive - - it doesn't focus on review, review, review like Saxon and other programs do. But actually this is very good for my son, because he sees constant review as an affront --(what did I do wrong that you keep making me do this again?)

This program simply tests their knowledge of the subject, and moves on. If my son doesn't pass the quizzes or tests, then we go over his answers and review just the parts that he didn't understand, and then he retests. But as long as he is passing the quizzes and tests, I let him just move on to the new material.

Of course in the elementary years, most maths are reviewed each year anyway, so over the course of time, I think it sticks, even without constant daily review. My other son always did well with Saxon's style, but my younger dyslexic son would have been absolutely miserable.

As far as supplementing, once in a while, if he just isn't "getting" something in math, I will have him watch one of the United Streaming math videos that deals with whatever math subject he is focusing on, and that seems to help him cement it in his mind, since he is so visual. Other than that, not much supplementing. T4L Math is pretty thorough. Hope this helps...
    Kerry
    Raising homegrown geeks...one laptop at a time. Check out my Topsy-Techie blog at http://topsytechie.wordpress.com/

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Brenda, Juls posted last May, so I'm not sure if she's still around to see your questions. I think you'll find Kerry's answer helpful, though. Thanks, Kerry!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Kerry! I LOVE your article! This makes total sense! I am curious how you use T4L'ing w/ your ADD child? I see lots of info on ADHD (hyper) but not a lot for those who sit quietly and zone out?

I am trying different things and would love to hear your suggestions
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/