Anyone have a child with a tic disorder/Tourettes?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    momtogrif is offline Member

Default Anyone have a child with a tic disorder/Tourettes?

My son is 9 and just started with what the dr's are calling transient tics. Most of what I see is eye winking/blinking and head tossing. He also had some throat clearing during his allergy season this past summer.

Anyway, I was wondering how well this program worked for you? We homeschool and sometimes I know it's hard for ds to read when his eye tic is at a peak. These T4L lessons seem pretty easy to get a handle on and seem short enough to keep his attention. I also wonder if he's ADD, he also has anxiety issues and some sensory stuff going on as well!

Robin is offline Senior Member

My son has not been diagnosed, but he's a chronic hand rubber. He rubs his hands together so much he has blisters. I find that he doesn't do it while working at the computer.

My daughter is a throat clearer. I usually give her a cup of water to sip and keep with her.

I think when your son's eye tick is at it's peak, maybe you should do something else with him? Maybe read to him? I guess it depends on how often it's really bad.

ergon4 is offline Member Regular

Our son has had Tourettes Syndrome since he was five years old. He's 13 (almost 14) now. Andy isn't using T4L, he is doing an online distance ed program called 3DLearn, but he has seemed to always do really well with online schooling in general. Our younger son has OCD/Anxiety/Dyslexia, and has been using T4L for almost 2 years now. It has been a godsend for him, because he was really struggling with traditional style curricula. You can read our story about that, here.

Eye tics can make learning doubly difficult. Andy has those on and off all the time. It is amazing how well he has learned to compensate, though. I always am amazed at how he learns anything when his eyes are blinking constantly or his head is bobbing. He does find himself getting dizzier at those times, so we make sure to give him extra breaks when the tics are especially bad. Good luck with everything, and please feel free to pm me with any other ?s.

Kerry
    Raising homegrown geeks...one laptop at a time. Check out my Topsy-Techie blog at http://topsytechie.wordpress.com/

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

My daughter has ADHD and Tourette's. We find when the ticing gets really in the way or out of control, it's best to take breaks more often, rejuggle the schedule, have me read to hear (it's amazing how much they actually hear even though it doesn't look/sound like they could possibly hear you much less are paying attention ). We may go for a couple of weeks where it feels like we're slogging through jello and making no progress. This is our eighth year of homeschooling and EVERY time they make it up somehow. So I've learned not to sweat it (although I'm still tempted!).

It does also seem that the computer is an environment that helps minimize the tics but each child is different. PLay it by ear and be willing to adapt and make changes until you find what works for your family.

Blessings, Adele

Wow! I only expected to get maybe 1 response! I didn't realize there were so many kids with this issue. Nice to know I'm not alone.
    He just started with tics right after he turned 9 so this is totally new territory for me and I'm having trouble adjusting school, etc. I also never know what to tell people when they ask. Since the tics just started recently we haven't gotten any diagnosis yet as the doc said to wait it out for the first year or so.

My son, now 14, had transient tics that he eventually outgrew. Some of them were quite severe at times but then he'd stop or start up a new one. They never lasted more than a couple of weeks. Dd has been ticing for years so not so sure she is going to "grow out of it." All that to say, if he just started, it may be too soon to say it will be permanent. From what I have read, it's not unusual for kids to have transient tics for a time.

Our current dilemna with our daughter is she is supposed to be doing ITBS (Standardized testing) next week in a classroom setting. Unfortunately her current tic is a rather loud high squeak or chirp, several times in a row. Can you say distracting? I don't want her to be concentrating on not ticing but neither do I want to disturb the other students testing. I've suggested a private room and proctor but we'll see what ends up happening. Never a dull moment!

Hang in there! Blessings, Adele
    [email protected]

Well, my ds has been having the same tic since November. I've seen others in conjunction with thie eye blinking but they come and go. The eye blinking is daily, and changes in frequency daily.
    Some days it's so hard to watch it all and to hear other kids bug him about it! He doesn't seem to mind, though!
    So far this website has been a great thing for us!

Oh, I know what you mean. Homeschooling has been a great thing for my daughter. She isn't around kids for 8 hours a day wondering what she is doing. She normally has about 45-90 minutes a day in which she is in classes so she has practice answering questions and most times doesn't mind too much. It's nice that she has much more time at home where no one makes a big deal about. However there are days my heart is so sad for her. Recently she has been complaining that her stomach hurts from her recent tics. Not much we can do about it except give her a hug and a smile.

Hang in there! Adele

2CowboysMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default My son also

My son also had transient tics for a whole year and half! They went away and have not returned so far.. he is not home schooled but has used this program for help with his reading. My ped said to never bring the tics to his attention, don't talk about it unless he brings it up ect.. and most of the time he was totally unaware of what he was doing and they left as fast as they came.. one day he was doing it.. then he'd do it for 3 monthes then he's stop and start somthing new.. then it was all gone one day..
    goodluck

SarahT is offline Member Regular

I know this is a REALLY old thread, but wanted to join in.
    Both of my twins have tics as well.
    One does a thing where he jerks his head to the side, and squints his eyes, or just one. The other one will jerk his head to the side, and sniff the air. One time, my son had one where he jerked his head back constantly, and I kept thinking that it had to give him a sore neck.
    I wanted to add that I've had amazing luck with keeping the kids on a gluten free dairy free diet. I think I will start a new thread on the subject. You are definitely not alone!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast