Anyone have a child that is way behind for their school leve
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    usmile is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Anyone have a child that is way behind for their school leve

Hi,

I just started T4L in September. My son is 13 and was going into 8th grade in public school. He has an auditory processing disorder and had "special" in class help. He failed reading in 7th grade and was horrified to see the school was going to send him on to 8th grade. Anyway, he was not getting what he needed, he was being bullied by other students, and teachers as well.

So I pulled him out of public school.

His reading has improved along with his writing in just 2 months, but his skills in every subject I'd say is about 4th grade.. I am starting to panic now because I don't know how to measure his level, what tools to use, find, to measure his progress. I don't know if I should 5 subjects a day, or focus on one.. it's been loose, except for writing and reading - which he does everyday.

I LOVE the quizzess and tests here. I have noticed the % have gone up which is good when he takes quizzes..

But I am panicing because I feel like I should be doing more with him and faster to get more in - like public school, but then I know how much better it is when I take my time with him so he has the time to understand what's being taught...

I guess I am feeling lost and need support. I am doing this solo.

Any suggestions? Ideas, am I to nervouse and just need to relax?

Any feedback would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Lesly

denimay is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Anyone have a child that is way behind for their school leve

Lesly........I think you should follow your mother's "gut" and let your son go at his own pace. My son is 8 and 1/2 and we're still working on the kindergarten "stuff." We have no services here so I have no "professional" diagnosis, but he has a significan speech delay and I believe he may have one or more processing issues as well. I found T4L in August and started that. I'm also practicing making letters and numbers every day. I've also begun supplementing with vitamins and fish oil and we've just begun brain integration therapy exercises. I am all alone as well and I understand the feeling that you must do more/better/faster. I have been a teacher for 4 decades and I am currently tutoring 5 kids who are in "3rd" grade and struggling because they've been pushed and promoted on the "age scale" as opposed to an ability scale.

Not too very long ago the minimum age for public school attendance in most states was 8 or 9. The push to lower the age children are required to go to "school" has had an obvious detrimental effect that the "no child left behind" has made worse for many, many children.

If your son is doing well at the lower grade level, I'd say leave him be. He will gain confidence as he masters whatever grade material he's doing and he will be able to move himself along. If he finishes one grade "midyear" he can begin the next grade and just keep going. There is no "maximum" age for learning. He needs to continue with "reading and writing" and math every day......you might want to alternate Science and Social Studies doing only one each day....do hands-on experiments, field trips and projects (time-line, family tree, state/community geography, etc.) for SS and Science. Ask your son where his interests lie and find/create projects in those areas.

Give yourself a break.....the first year is always the most challenging......as long as your son is LEARNING and improving his skills, you're doing fine and so is he. deni....
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmile
    Hi,

I just started T4L in September. My son is 13 and was going into 8th grade in public school. He has an auditory processing disorder and had "special" in class help. He failed reading in 7th grade and was horrified to see the school was going to send him on to 8th grade. Anyway, he was not getting what he needed, he was being bullied by other students, and teachers as well.

So I pulled him out of public school.

His reading has improved along with his writing in just 2 months, but his skills in every subject I'd say is about 4th grade.. I am starting to panic now because I don't know how to measure his level, what tools to use, find, to measure his progress. I don't know if I should 5 subjects a day, or focus on one.. it's been loose, except for writing and reading - which he does everyday.

I LOVE the quizzess and tests here. I have noticed the % have gone up which is good when he takes quizzes..

But I am panicing because I feel like I should be doing more with him and faster to get more in - like public school, but then I know how much better it is when I take my time with him so he has the time to understand what's being taught...

I guess I am feeling lost and need support. I am doing this solo.

Any suggestions? Ideas, am I to nervouse and just need to relax?

Any feedback would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Lesly
    Sweet Lesly,

I think you did the right thing! What a loving Mama you are. I can only imagine the amount of time you invested in this decision and I want to encourage you that I think you made the right one I have four sons, three of which have APD. Processing is tricky because it presents differently in each child. However, the one thing that is consistent is that children with APD struggle to organize their information appropriately in the brain when heard auditorily. APD kids do AMAZINGLY well with strong visual tools.

I have homeschooled since 1998 and tried a gamut of other curriculum until we found Time4Learning in "2007". Our whole first year with T4L'ing I worried that he wasn't getting enough. He just seemed to do so well and was having so much fun. At the end of our first year, when we had our year end testing I was totally blown away by the boys progress. All of them went up more in math than any other year we'd homeschooled EVER. Every single subject made amazing gains. Why? Because the strong visual graphics in Time4Learning coats information with velcro and helps it to organize appropriately. It not only goes where it should, but it sticks and stays put so that our children can begin to build on the basics. Most APD kids struggle to grow because information gets lost and there is nothing for the to build upon.

As far as placement goes, I believe in planting them where they will flourish. Children should not have to constantly work hard to grasp info. If he's in 8th grade, but working at a fourth grade level then place him in fourth grade. Right now because you are in the catching up phase I would make the basics my main priority. Using the language arts extensions will expose him to the culture and world around him. I would add lots of reading practice for him. You can get books from the library and have him read one chapter to you everyday. In addition to all of the reading practice he will get in his L.A. everyday. Keep it simple. Do you all have any co-op's or homeschool support groups in your area to plug into?

Also, I am going to share with you a blog post I wrote last June after going to an amazing workshop at our state convention. My oldest on with CAPD just turned 18 years old and I often worried about what he would do with this life. Learning what his "Strength's" are was life changing. Rather than rambling here I will just give you the link. (warm smile)

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/692610/
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Hi Deni,Mary

Thank you for your responses! I feel better now. I have not connected with anyother homeschoolers in my area. I am in NJ - I know they are out there, but no sign of anyone else in my community.

Where is the Strength Quest Test..

Is scholastic testing a good idea? How do you both measure your child progress? Is there anything special you use?

I love homeschooling. The relationship I have with my son I treasure. He is much happier at home and is more himself now.

I don't drive as I am legally blind, so I don't get to take him out much. The T4L program has been excellent to use. I mix other things in as well.

Well okay, I feel better now..

Thank you so much and appreciate your replies. I hope we can stay in touch.

Lesly

PS -
    Mary,
    I enjoyed reading your page! Your sons look very happy... thank you for sharing that with me.

Lesly

Blog Entries

Hi Deni,Mary

Thank you for your responses! I
    Where is the Strength Quest Test..
    Lesly, you are more than welcome. It's such an honor to walk this journey with other moms who understand what it's like to homeschool or educate in general with children who learn differently. (((Big Hugs)))

If your son is between the ages of 10-13 he would take the Strength's Quest Test

If your son is 14 and up he would take the Strength's finder test.

I don't know anything about the scholastic testing? (I'm sorry) The test I'm talking about doesn't measure their academic abilities, it helps you to identify their personal strength's.

HTH,
    Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Hi Mary,
    My son is 13. I'd be interested in learning more about it. Would you mind telling me more?

Thank you so much.

Lesly

Blog Entries

Hi Mary,
    My son is 13. I'd be interested in learning more about it. Would you mind telling me more?

Thank you so much.

Lesly
    If you go to http://www.amazon.com they sell it. Strength's Quest is a test that let's you know what your child's top three Strength's are so that you can give them opportunities to walk in those strength's. My 13 year old son has:

Dependability
    Caring
    Organization

It has a whole report that you print out and discuss with your child as well as a workbook that helps him see his purpose, his strength and how to use those in all kinds of situations. For instance, we go to a home fellowship bible study on Sunday's with a few other families. Since Colton is so responsible and cares about helping others they have asked him to be in charge of the children's activity. He loves it. It's funny because my oldest son has a totally different group of strength's and he would not have enjoyed that opportunity at all. When he turns 14 you could then order him the strength's Finder 2.0

denimay is offline Senior Member

Lesly....you're welcome! I'm a big fan of "walking field trips" and using public transportation. You could start with your neighborhood. Your son could research bus/train schedules and figure out how you and he could "go somewhere" on a field trip. What a great learning experience for him to be able to figure out how to take YOU somewhere!! Hang in there......you'll be fine! deni......
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

Deni
    That's a great suggestion! Thank you! I think I will do that - it never occured to me!
    Do you have a tight scheduled day, with a certain time spent on one subject at a time? Or do you have a weekly theme? How do you organize your day?

Just want to see how others are doing this..

Thanks!

Lesly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast