Autism

Thread: Autism

wnzpedersen is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Autism

My son has autism and is 5 years old. We have only been doing time 4 learning for a few days and I love the program already. I have encoutered a problem which I hope someone here has already been through and can offer some ideas!! My son likes things to move quickly and he does not listen to what is being said half the time or just does not understand what is being said so he tunes it out and wants to move on. I have discovered that the programs here at time 4 learning move rather slow such as if you get the answer right it will still go on and explain instead of letting you move on to the next question. I think this is good but my son gets frusterated and wants to call it quits. Any suggestions on ways around this or on how to get my son to listen better and to be more patient. This would be a great help. Thanks

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

Not sure how the younger levels work but for math, my daughter is able to move the button to proceed more quickly on things she already knows in the 8th grade math. The button I'm speaking of moves forward as the speaker in the lesson talks.

Another option we just did for social studies was to take an entire chapter test without having done any of the learning activities. It ended up marking the sections as mastered except for the questions she got wrong.

In math and language arts, they will sometimes have a review or reteach activity. If dd doesn't feel like she needs it, she skips it. However if her grades on the quizzes and tests reflect otherwise, then she can go back through and rewatches/watches.

If it's an issue where she really does need to listen but is having a difficult time staying tuned in, sometimes I will sit with her and we'll alternate reading out loud and talking about it. OTher times I have her repeat activities or quizzes until she demonstrates some understanding. When she knows she will have to repeat it if she is not paying attention, she tends to work much harder to stay on task. Nothing is more agonizing for her (adhd and tourettes) than to have to rewatch something.

I've also provided positive incentives. Could be playing a game of her choice with me, watching CyberChase, eating a mini-m&m everytime she answers a questions correctly, etc. It's just a matter of figuring out what motivates your student. For dd, while it might seem contrary to what you'd think, offering a snack for her to eat while she is at the computer, helps. Perhaps it's a blood sugar thing? Who knows... just something non-messy like pretzels, apple slices, nuts, etc.

I look forward to reading others' ideas. Great question!

Blessings, Adele

Kathy E. is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Autistic grandson, bright, hates to be tested

I have a similar issue with the 7 year old very bright autistic grandson that I am homeschooling...he hates stuff that is either too easy or too hard, and he really really hates to be tested in any way. He loves to learn, though. He seems to be insulted if you give him info that is too easy...like one segment that he worked on was explaining what nurses and firemen and policemen do, information that he's had for four years or so. Then he loses interest. But if it's too hard, it frustrates him because he is perfectionistic. And since you mustn't test him, it's a bit of a double bind. He did well with Headsprout to learn to read in K, finished all 80 episodes, there I could tell how well he grasped the material because the activity itself gave a progress report without a quiz.

I don't think Ben's going to be doing any quizzes. He's not real interested in the program yet, to be honest--we probably haven't found the right level.

Peace,
    Kathy E.