Autism and question which level to place him
    Gris is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Autism and question which level to place him

My son is in 3rd grade and ready to be homeschooled after much thought I have decided that he is not getting the so much needed one-on-one attention in public school anymore. I just sign in on the program and I have no clue where to place my kid because he is at a different levels. He can be preschool on language and 5th grade on reading so my question is how do you go about level and grade?? I mean, does the program gives you that felxibility or is it pretty much stuck on one level? help please!

juanitaclay is offline Junior Member Newbie

Smile Homeschooling Autistic Son

Hi, I have been using Time4Learning since 08/2010 for my autistic son. I pulled him out of public school last March. He was in 3rd when I pulled him out but I started him on the 4th grade level on T4L. You can access the grade level above & below what you sign him up for. Also you may be able to contact T4L & see if they can set up his account with the different grade levels you need. I also recommend signing up with ClickSchooling. They will send you emails with info & links to different websites for homeschoolers. You may also want to check out Gudli is a free, online education service that makes learning fun for young children., & Super Teacher Worksheets - Free Printable Worksheets. They have activities & printable worksheets you can access for free for several grade levels. You can always use these in addition to T4L curriculum. As a mother of a autistic child I know how difficult it can be. I have also started homeschooling my 11 yr old dtr who has ADHD yesterday. Let me know if you have any questions. I will do my best to help.

KittyKat is offline Junior Member Newbie

My son autistic son is now in 5th grade. Been homeschooling for all his life except for short periods whereby we've tried different public schools in different states we've lived. When we started this program 2 yrs ago, he was a lot like your son with vast variance in learning capabilities. This program does allow for such a variance. However, I found it was a lot easier on both of us to just choose his medium grade level for the majority of subjects. For instance, his spelling/vocab was at 6th, math was 5th, science was 4th and the rest at 3rd grade. I put him in 4th grade. I brought him up to 4th grade on the majority of subjects verbally and by going down a couple of levels on the other subjects and excelling with very little effort gave him the confidence boost he both needed and wanted for the other subjects. Now, he's right where he needs to be and doing fine. With the craziness in the scheduling and the freedom he wanted, it just made more sense to do it this way. Hope this helps. As a Mom who's taken interest in her sons personal well-being, best thing you can do for the both of you is trust your instincts.