Biggest challenge homeschooling special needs
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By pixiedollrunner
  • 1 Post By levinsmommy07
  • 1 Post By agrosenberry

Thread: Biggest challenge homeschooling special needs

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Default Biggest challenge homeschooling special needs

1. What is the biggest challenge you're facing in homeschooling your child with special needs?

2. If it's different than the above answer, what is the biggest challenge your child with special needs is facing?

3. What is challenge has your child with special needs overcome and how?

As for us, our biggest challenge right now is math. We cannot seem to move beyond simple addition and subtraction with my daughter with Down syndrome. She requires daily and consistent practice with the same concepts, and this is a challenge for us....finding different ways of practicing the same concepts.

Another challenge that is not academic, is friendships. She has many friends, but none who live close by and whom she can have playdates with on a daily or weekly basis.

I hope you all are not shy about responding. I'd love to connect with you all and share about our experiences in homeschooling our children with special needs.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

pixiedollrunner is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovehmschlg View Post
    1. What is the biggest challenge you're facing in homeschooling your child with special needs?

2. If it's different than the above answer, what is the biggest challenge your child with special needs is facing?

3. What is challenge has your child with special needs overcome and how?

As for us, our biggest challenge right now is math. We cannot seem to move beyond simple addition and subtraction with my daughter with Down syndrome. She requires daily and consistent practice with the same concepts, and this is a challenge for us....finding different ways of practicing the same concepts.

Another challenge that is not academic, is friendships. She has many friends, but none who live close by and whom she can have playdates with on a daily or weekly basis.

I hope you all are not shy about responding. I'd love to connect with you all and share about our experiences in homeschooling our children with special needs.

Hi!

I just felt like sharing with you since I was visiting the Forum today, which by the way, I hardly have time to do because home schooling keeps me so busy! (LOL)

Anyways, I have a special needs son. He is 6 years old with Autism and verbal dyspraxia. My hardest challenge has been having to learn new sign language so that I can teach him both the new words that go along with the lessons I teach him and for him to be able to communicate. You see, my son has very little speech, but his ASL is spot on! Remarkable of how he is able to sign so fluently! I am proud of that and of myself for learning ASL.

One barrier that my son has overcome, is pretend play. A year ago, he was not pretending or acting in play scenarios at all. When I taught and read him the story Goldilocks and the Three Bears with puppets and masks that I made for him, he started to pretend play and now he loves to act out scenes from movies and stories! Also, he used to just draw color lines when coloring. I started playing and doing music therapy with him by researching the Mozart Effect and playing Mozart to him. It has benefited us both! He is now coloring full pages with brilliant colors! (My IQ went up to 22 points)
    !!

My son still has challenges to overcome. There are still some days that he is just not understanding a word I am telling him, or he won't communicate at all. Most days, are good though and he loves T4L and all the characters! He is doing lessons between the levels of Kindergarten and 2nd grade! I am so proud of him. My think my hardest challenge is not so much academic, but social wise when he goes outside and tries to play with other children and my son has no speech. Instead he response with vocal stemming which is sometimes very loud. Boy, do I get a lot of questions, but I tell everyone that my son is special.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

levinsmommy07 is offline Junior Member

Hey everyone! Thank you for starting this thread!!
    I have a almost 8 year old with autism/ ADHD/ Sensory Processing Disorder (I believe he has other learning disabilities as well)

I think just learning how to teach him the way he can learn and understand. We really have to think out of the box and come up with so many different ideas. We've learned he does well with hands on, so that helps. He needs to be able to manipulate objects and see things other than just sitting and listening. Repetitive practice.. every day...

Trying to come up with his own ideas and to transfer them from his head down on to paper. ( His OT is working with him on typing, that's helping, but its still a struggle) He can't seem to get his thoughts together.

3. What is challenge has your child with special needs overcome and how? We are FINALLY getting somewhere with reading! I honestly have to give credit to ReadingEggs.com We have worked for 2 years to get him where he is today. Now hes starting to read everything he can. Its amazing.

@lovehmschlg Have you checked out Touch Math? I know the program is expensive, but if you go to youtube you can find videos on how it works and then make your own worksheets. That was the ONLY way my son could learn to add or subtract. You can also use the touch math system for counting money, multiplication and I believe division. It is an amazing program. There is also a fee app on the iTunes store that you can use to teach where the touch points go!

I can't wait to see what others have to share! =)
    lovehmschlg likes this.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

@lovehmschlg Have you checked out Touch Math? I know the program is expensive, but if you go to youtube you can find videos on how it works and then make your own worksheets. That was the ONLY way my son could learn to add or subtract. You can also use the touch math system for counting money, multiplication and I believe division. It is an amazing program. There is also a fee app on the iTunes store that you can use to teach where the touch points go!

I have tried TouchMath. It was really helpful. I used it with her for addition and subtraction. Maybe I just need to go back to that for multiplication and division. Thank you for that reminder and encouragement!
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

agrosenberry is offline Junior Member

Hi, I have a 10 year old boy with dyslexia, and possibly some other issues.
    1. our biggest struggle is to keep him from getting frustraited and shut down. It is so hard to restart once he melts down. He hates feeling that he can not understand something and then it just spirals out if I dont watch the way i handle it.
    2. the biggest thing he is facing right now is keeping at a task even when he is having a hard time. in all aspects of life from making his bed to math problems, he just wants to give up and scream.
    3. Reading has finally gotten easier and he will pick up a book and read on his own when he has free time. I honestly never thought we would see him do it. I am thrilled.
    lovehmschlg likes this.