Callum's first day . . .
    SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Default Callum's first day . . .

What a hectic day! I realized over the weekend that we would need a birth certificate and immunization records to attend public preK. I count one joy of homeschooling the fact that I already know my children were born and injected. No paper trail required! But at PS they're a little picky. After a frenzied search and proclamations to my mother about being on the brink of a nervous breakdown, I found Callum's birth certificate. I had to wait until this morning to get his records, since the hospital doesn't share my interest in their working weekends and holidays. 6 phone calls, 2 hours, and a bucket of nerves later, we were set. Why all the effort? This giant hospital we now go to lost Callum's first 3 years of records we brought from NY. How, I have no idea. And the small, friendly office we used to go through is so understaffed during lunch hour (on the east coast, morning here!) that it was a long wait to get that page of his records faxed.

Of course it didn't help that I was freaking out inside over sending Callum to PreK.

Callum protested every time I mentioned the idea of PreK or how cool it was, how fun the toys were, how nice his teachers were. I tried to take his picture in front of the school and he ran out into the parking lot, screaming at me. Finally, I gave up and dragged him in, grumpy face and all. [We were now over 2 hours late.] Callum saw his teacher come into the office and suddenly decided school was okay after all. He climbed down from my arms and walked to his classroom, holding my hand. We got him set up and said good-bye.

An hour later, I was fighting back tears.

I admit that I'm a big wimpy helicopter Mom. I was sad that at the end of our Target trip we only had 3 cups to toss instead of 4. I didn't miss the begging for tic-tacs or the wandering down the aisles, but I did miss the random reading of sale signs and product labels from the cart (which felt too light, by the way). I wondered what he was doing and if he was having a grand ole time, or a great big meltdown.

I needn't have worried.

When we finally got to pick up Callum (3 hours after we dropped him off!) I was excited. I spotted him from the van, standing outside with his teacher, just as she had promised. He didn't look scared or overwhelmed. He looked . . . happy. We ran up to greet him, clicking pictures every three steps of the way. He sort of gave me a hug and I smiled in spite of myself. How could I not? His teacher told me that he engaged in every activity, from snack time to circle time, and that he didn't fuss once.

It was time to celebrate.

We decided to go play since it was such an uncommonly beautiful day today. We went home and packed up the puppy, then headed to the park. 15 minutes had passed between the time I picked Callum up and the time I pulled into the waterfront parking lot. I looked into the rearview mirror and found the reflections of my children, one of whom was passed out and the other two who were fading fast. I smiled, reattached my seatbelt, and drove home. There will be plenty of days for sunny outings with the girls and enough quiet afternoons to get the house cleaned while Callum finally --FINALLY-- naps.

It has been two hours since the car ride home and Callum is still sleeping.
    Melissa.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Callum's first day . . .

Oh Melissa,

I was coming here to post and ask you how Callum's first day went. I was SO glad to see your post already here. I know today was hard, but I believe that you really gave this a lot of prayer and that God is faithful. I was going to encourage you by telling you that if at anytime you're not liking it, you have the choice to pull him, so there's no pressure. However, I'm thinking that he's going to be fine. You are such a wonderful mom Melissa. I thoroughly enjoyed reading every word of your update. How blessed your children are to rise up and call you Mama!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Callum's first day . . .

So today is the second day and I felt much more calm and relaxed about Callum going off to school. It was a little hectic trying to get him ready, since the house is usually so laid back when he gets up. [Cereal has never been as exciting as the vacuum or the computer is first thing in the morning! ] But we were "only" about 10 minutes late getting to the classroom instead of 2 hours, so we're improving.

When Callum realized where we were, he grabbed my hand and ran all the way down the path from our parking spot to the school building. Then he showed me which way to go to get to his classroom. We brought Pickles with us to pick him up and he was so excited! [Dogs are allowed at the school as long as they are leashed. I haven't seen another school with this policy.]
    Melissa.