CAPD 5th grade private school...too late to start T4L for this school year?
    My3girls is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question CAPD 5th grade private school...too late to start T4L for this school year?

My daughter is in the 5th grade and has had ADD since 1st grade. She was in the same public school from 1st to 4th grade. We moved over the summer and she started a new school. She has struggled with memorizing multiplication and numerous other issues in math. I thought this was the only major struggle until she started 5th grade where she has seemed to struggle with every subject. I pulled her out of public school and put her in a christian private school less than a month ago where I thought the smaller setting would benefit her. After only being there for a few weeks, the teacher asked me if she had ever been diagnosed with CAPD. I laughed because I asked for her to be tested before and was told it would have been diagnosed by now. My youngest daughter was diagnosed at the age of 4 with CAPD. I now have an appointment scheduled for the evaluation but I am almost positive that she has it. The private school teacher said they have no resources to help her if she does have it. My daughter is struggling making friends and is begging me to homeschool her. Her teacher also explained that at the rate she is going she will not pass. She already had to repeat 1st grade and is an older child because of her birthday being in January so I really do not want her to repeat another grade. I came across this website and I am interested for next year, however, if I pull her out and start her this late in the school year, I do not know how to report it to the county? How would this work if we start now? I live in the state of FL.

Thank you for your help.....

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, My3girls.

Let me start by setting your mind at ease that you can begin homeschooling at any time in the year. I live in South Florida and I pulled my daughter out of school right after Spring Break years ago, and we've been homeschooling since. It was the best choice we've made for her!

Our daughter has special needs and Time4Learning is a wonderful program for her. It allows her to work at her own pace in each subject. Math is a challenge for her, so she is in a lower grade level for math than she is in Language Arts, which is her favorite subject. She loves to read!

If you plan to pull her out of school, you should educate yourself on the Florida homeschool laws. I can tell you Florida is a good state for homeschooling. You will need to provide your local school board with a Letter of Intent to homeschool. Every year you will need to have your daughter evaluated or tested by a certified teacher (I prefer to use a homeschool parent who is a certified teacher). Once she has been tested/evaluated, the certified teacher will give you a form signed by her indicating that your daughter has shown progress. This form needs to be submitted to the school board on the anniversary of the Letter of Intent. Always send everything certified mail and return receipt. I've provided you with a couple of links at the FPEA site, which is the Florida Parent Educators Association. And by the way, there is a homeschool convention coming up on the weekend of May 24th in Orlando by the FPEA. I try to never miss that. I'll be there for this one, too. Look for me at the Time4Learning table if you go.

One more suggestion I want to make is that you join a homeschool support group in your area. You should be able to find one through Google or through the FPEA site. And the support group or FPEA should be able to give you the name of a certified teacher who does evaluations and testing.

If you have any questions, whether about homeschooling or Time4Learning, or you want more information about starting mid-year, please feel free to ask. We're all here to help. Oh, let me also give you a link to How to Homeschool. This was put together by some veteran homeschool moms who are members of T4L. You'll find it very helpful, I'm sure.
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 03-25-2014 at 04:38 PM.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

My3girls is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much for all of your information! It will come in handy for sure!

However, I am still a little confused about starting this late in the "school year"? If she starts now, that means she will only do about 2 months of homeschool for this school year, right? So my 1st question is, where would I start with her school work with T4L? And, how would I do an evaluation of "progress" if it is only for 2 months? Is this possible and acceptable?

Sorry, I am still a little confused and I do not want to mess it up........

reb621 is offline Member

I'm not familiar with Florida's laws, but since you don't have to report progress until 1 year from the date of your initial "Intent to Homeschool" letter, then the progress you'll be reporting won't be due until next spring. And she'll clearly have made progress by then.

Mine were VERY behind when I pulled them out 4 years ago (then entering 6th, 5th, and 3rd grades), so that first summer we continued school through the summer with worksheets, trips to the library, tons of free online learning games (like Arcademics.com, Starfall.com, and Timez Attack--love that math facts game!), and lots of family reading time (Mom read two pages, child 1 read 1 pg, mom read another 2, child 2 read 1 page, etc.)...I hadn't discovered T4L, yet, or we might have done that instead.

So if you start homeschooling now and pull her out of the private school, she can take her time getting to know the curriculum. Where do you start her? That depends on her abilities. I started mine in the years they had just completed. HOwever, due to not learning ANYTHING that year, they failed miserably, so I moved them back a year after just a few days...then another grade level...and another until I had my 6th, 5th, and 3rd graders all repeating 2nd grade on T4L! But it was "easy" for them and they were happy to ace everything...good confidence builder.

When I moved them on to 3rd, that was a little tougher and my youngest had to go slower since this was the first time she was seeing it. My point is that you can start her where you think she is, but are free to make the grade change at any time, up or down.

We do 1 lesson (lesson A, lesson B, quiz) in each subject daily (which takes about 1.5 hours), and follow that with what we call "Stations" (from public school days) where they rotate from music practice (each plays an instrument) to Timez Attack math drills to typing (we use the BBC Dancemat typing online--it's cute) or spelling (SpellCity.com), etc....Then we may have a homeschool class/craft at the library or homeschool gym class in the afternoon. We're busy, but my girls are getting way more now than they ever did in school and they finally feel confident and have true friendships with friends who really care about them.

And they've blown through 7 years-worth of school in only 4 of homeschooling!!! My middle (8th) is AT grade level now, youngest (6th--->7th) is 1/2 year ahead, and oldest (9th) is 1/2 yr behind still (she had the most lost ground to make up).

I hope this has helped you see how easy it is to begin homeschooling at ANY time. I just wish we had considered doing so even earlier as there were so many years lost, spent tearing down my girls' self esteem.

Sorry, one more thing...Check the "Lesson Plans" to see what the concepts are in each subject. That way if you know she has already covered X and Y, you can start her on the Z lesson.

Or you can just repeat this entire year (5th gr), but have her take the quizzes without doing lessons. If she passes (I make mine earn 80% before moving on), continue her on through the remaining lessons and call that a "year." Then move her up to the next grade level and go from there. But it sounds like she may need to at least repeat the entire 5th grade year. It's ok, though, they move quickly through these lessons. Sometimes you have to find other stuff to keep them busy once they've finished!
    Last edited by reb621; 04-24-2014 at 10:12 PM.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

My3girls,

If you pull your daughter out this month and send a Letter of Intent to Homeschool your daughter, say, May 1st, then your evaluation will be due next May 1st, 2015. So yes, you have a whole year. And that's plenty of time for you both to de-school, become familiar with each other styles of teaching and learning, and become familiar with the curriculum you'll be using...even figuring out if you want to supplement.

As to your question on where to start with Time4Learning, Time4Learning is a flexible program withthe ability to adjust starting points and levels. If starting mid-year, I suggest you have your daughter take the tests and quizzes within agrade-level (5th) to determine an appropriate starting level. The assessments (quizzesand tests within the lessons) can be used as a guide to measure what conceptsare understood or not understood. The best starting point within a grade levelis where your child begins to have difficulty after taking the quizzes andtests. Most parents find this method useful in placing their children.

Another option would be for you to read through the Lessons Plans Scope and Sequence. I've included a link for all the grade levels for you. It is okay for you to skip around in lessons. You are the teacher of record. What is important is that she is progressing and learning. So if you find, for example, that your daughter has covered the material in lesson 6 in her 5th grade Language Arts, but she has not covered Lessons 4&5, then just have her do lessons 4 and 5, but skip lesson 6. That's what I would do.

I wanted to share a couple of sites that I use that have been very helpful for my kids. SpellingCity is great as a spelling program, but also for vocabulary, which helps improve reading comprehension. I create our own list from whatever books we are reading. There are some lists that the website already has created. And another one that may be helpful is Time4Writing. This site offeres one-on-one writing courses with certified teachers, but it also has a lot of free resources for parents and teachers for teaching writing to our kids.

I hope that helps. If you have more questions, no worries. Just ask!
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

monnalu is offline Member

My granddaughter with CAPD uses T4L as her basic curriculum through a public school charter school. She just completed the 3rd grade, but she had been begging to be homeschooled since kindergarten. She loves the programs and she is learning everything on schedule, plus she looks online or the library for more information on subjects that interest her. Homeschooling is a godsend for her. She did well in traditional school through the 2nd grade, but with much frustration and confusion. She was diagnosed and now is doing much better.