CAPD/ HIGH FUNCTIONING AUTISM
    fourviolins is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default CAPD/ HIGH FUNCTIONING AUTISM

Hi! We have homeschooled for 20 years. We are new here at Time4Learning and are really excited about it. I have 2 older daughters (24 yr. old twins) and 2 sons, 13 and 16 yrs old. Both boys have CAPD. The youngest is only mildly affected. The older one is severely affected. His doctors have told me they suspect high functioning autism, but I've had to question that. He has no other sign of autism other than his language disorder.

We had to take time off from our formal schooling in order to focus on teaching my older son to talk. We spent 3 years learning sing language (SEE) and English as a second language. His language skills have really come a long way, but we are now quite a ways behind in our school subjects. I'm looking forward to seeing how this program will work with the boys.

One of the problems I think we might have with the program is the voices of some of the cartoon characters. Children with CAPD have a hard enough time understanding speech to begin with, throw in a cartoon voice and the problem is compounded. Has Time4Learning ever considered having the clips captioned? How have other children with CAPD done with the voices?

I'm really looking forward to hearing from others that deal with these same issues. Everything that I've read so far seems to be so encouraging.

Vickie

fourviolins is offline Junior Member Newbie

Ohhhhh, we just saw how to turn the closed captioning on! Wow, this is soooo nice!

tonton is offline Junior Member

Default Re: CAPD/ HIGH FUNCTIONING AUTISM

what specific software or stuff did you use to teach spoken language to your kid? my kid is a 6 yr old non-verbal autistic.. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fourviolins
    Hi! We have homeschooled for 20 years. We are new here at Time4Learning and are really excited about it. I have 2 older daughters (24 yr. old twins) and 2 sons, 13 and 16 yrs old. Both boys have CAPD. The youngest is only mildly affected. The older one is severely affected. His doctors have told me they suspect high functioning autism, but I've had to question that. He has no other sign of autism other than his language disorder.

We had to take time off from our formal schooling in order to focus on teaching my older son to talk. We spent 3 years learning sing language (SEE) and English as a second language. His language skills have really come a long way, but we are now quite a ways behind in our school subjects. I'm looking forward to seeing how this program will work with the boys.

One of the problems I think we might have with the program is the voices of some of the cartoon characters. Children with CAPD have a hard enough time understanding speech to begin with, throw in a cartoon voice and the problem is compounded. Has Time4Learning ever considered having the clips captioned? How have other children with CAPD done with the voices?

I'm really looking forward to hearing from others that deal with these same issues. Everything that I've read so far seems to be so encouraging.

Vickie

tonton is offline Junior Member

how do you turn on close captioning ? and where exactly are these clips that need close captioning. Thanks so much again !

Quote Originally Posted by fourviolins
    Ohhhhh, we just saw how to turn the closed captioning on! Wow, this is soooo nice!