CAPD and homeschooling
    mamacarpenter is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default CAPD and homeschooling

My son is 4 1/2 and has been evaluated by our local Prek evaluators and then by a language pathologists. They believe he has CAPD. Any one else dealing with this? What are you doing for education options? Did you child do better in school with therapy or homeschooling? We have him signed up to go to a really good private school, but they teach very traditionally and Im not sure he is going to do well there since he needs more visual learning techniques. Ive had him working on Time 4 learning several months back and he was doing fantastic! We stopped doing it a while back and am now coming back to it after reading how good it is for kids with CAPD. What do you think? Do you use it as a supplement or the core? I dont know what to do for kindergarten now! He was accepted into this great school, so I didnt persue any of the better public school options like our charter schools where he could get therapy. but he wont get the same therapy at private school and I dont like the public school he is zoned for.... Im not even sure public school is a better option! Please tell me your experience and advice
    Thank you!
    Crystal

Bommy2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

First of all I do have a son that has CAPD and also live in FL. I have homeschooled him since the middle of his first grade year. He is now entering into sixth grade. I love Time for Learning as a core. With that being said I also have used supplementaion. When you receive your IEP for him after the testing is complete you will have more suggestions from the evaluators on what will help your child the best to learn. We also played alot of games that were geared for learning. I made up some myself, got some at places like Lakeshore Learning etc. The one on one has helped my son tremendously. At first he hated learning his sight words and reading. Today, he is a fluent reader and loves to read. We used some Spectrum books for reading....The very first one started with Mercer Mayer's Little Critter character. He started enjoying it even back then and when he started reading independently he wanted the Little Critter books. We also started him reading Step into Reading Books back then. The first parts are mostly easy words and pictures.

Kids that have CAPD need alot of repetition. You will notice that one day they get it and the next they don't. Another good reason to use Time for Learning is this very thing. If you think your child needs some repetition then you can go back over a lesson again....as many times as needed.

Also, once you have an IEP you will have more of a voice as to what is best for your child. Not all schools have therapists that work at them. Make sure that you are your child's best advocate. You know your child best. There are excellent IEP advocates here in the State of FL that can help you get started too. Doing a simple search on google - IEP advocate Florida - will get you started.

Hope this helped just a bit.

Cheryl

Asiasmom is offline Junior Member

My daughter is now in the second grade. She was diagnosed when she was 3 and a half with CAPD. She has been homeschooled since kindergarten. I have used the Little Critter stories mentioned by Cheryl to help her learn to read. She is still working on sight words, and sometimes has to retrace her steps back to previous words once learned, but makes steady process. It is frustrating at times, but with T4L (which she just started a few weeks ago) she is improving more rapidly than with any other previous curriculum. I am amazingly surprised and proud of this program, and couldn't imagine her on any other curriculum now. Good luck with your child, and I am happy you have come to T4L for your child. It is a good place to start, and stay.

Teresa James

redrose is offline Junior Member Newbie

I have a 10 year old son with CAPD diagnosed by an audiologist. I am homeschooling him this year because after having researching CAPD and vision I realized I should investigate his eyes ( he has 20/20 ). He and I were trying ways to find a compensating skill that worked for him because when he reached third grade the previous ones were not working. I decided to take him to a developmental optometrist trained in vision therapy. The findings were remarkable, after I got over the parent guilt feeling we began vision therapy. I can say that vision therapy has really helped , and although he has CAPD we have been able to make such great progress with the CAPD. I am homeschooling him to fill in the gaps of the information he missed to prepare him for middle school . My son looks forward to time4learning math and language Arts. I read in a post that someone has an IEP for CAPD, you are fortunate because it is not recognized in Texas and will not be accepted in OHI ( at least at our previous school).

SherylH is offline Junior Member Newbie

I have a 5 year old son with CAPD. We have placed in him a wonderful small private school in our community that has small class room sizes and allows his therapists to see him throughout the school day. He has made tremendous progress with OT, Speech, Behavioral and Primitive Reflex Therapy (Musgatova method), but still is lagging behind inJ pre-reading. I am worried that he will begin to slide further behind when he starts first grade. We have begun to teach him to sight read in addition to continued work on phonics. My experience is the same that many of you have mentioned.....some days he gets the phonics right, but many days he seems to have forgotten what he had learned. I found this site while looking for ways to help him learn and I'm intrigued by some of your comments. I am considering this because he is always on the computer and very interested in computer games for learning as well as for fun. I'd would use this as a supplemental program to his private school. I am interested in hearing more about others experience using this program with children with CAPD. Also, do any of you use the Able Planet noise canceling headphones for your CAPD children and time4learning?

Thank you for your input.

Sheryl

amyproverbs31 is offline Junior Member

I just signed up my 3 boys for T4L after doing some research on CAPD. My oldest son has just been diagnosed with this. It explains so much of our struggles in homeschooling. I am praising the Lord that we homeschool, his ST said that had he been in a public school he would more than likely be extremely far behind. I am praing T4L will open up and make learning something he looks forward to instead of dreads. Especially the language portion. He Loves and excels at math but hates reading and writing. I'm looking forward to meeting other mom's working with this and learning so much about how to help my son thrive!

Amy