Cognitive Delays - Weak Arm Muscles
    HomeSchoolingMama is offline Junior Member

Default Cognitive Delays - Weak Arm Muscles

MY 6 year old son has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and cognitive delays since he was 3. He has overcome many of the cognitive delays through therapy, and has been making tremendous progress. During his IEP meeting in May 2011, it was revealed with that he had weak arm muscles, which causes him to not grip a pencil correctly. Does anyone have experience with this type of disability? Is there anything that I can do at home to help him when I begin homeschooling? We plan to begin after Christmas break, and I want to be sure that he is receiving the help he needs. He is currently receiving occupational therapy 2x a week in public school.....
    Mama to Hunter (7) Ryan (6) and Aubrey (22 months)
    Homeschooling as of 1/2012

http://homeschoolingmama24.xanga.com

raesrose is offline Junior Member

Hi HomeSchoolingMama! My son is also 6 and has the exact same challenges. I recommend a site Sensory Processing Disorder that has lots of ideas and help for developmental challenges. I think they have links to sites that will have special grips and the like to help with that. Our therapist recommended a slant board (which you can find on Ebay or Amazon) to write on to help ease some of the strain and to help his handwriting. We just started homeschooling about a month ago, and had planned to wait until the New Year, but things just got so bad I pulled him on out and I'm really glad I did! So follow your heart and if you need to pull him out sooner, do it! You can do this! Welcome to Time 4 Learning! My son loves it!
    mama to one college-age dd and one special needs ds, age 6

chritty is offline Junior Member Newbie

We use a whiteboard app on the iPad, wide-lined handwriting sheets, and are teaching how to play the recorder. We also take walks, play 2-square, and enjoy working in our garden. Our son has Asperger's and we have never seen him so outwardly relaxed and happy.