complaint about grade 3 characters
    tonton is offline Junior Member

Default complaint about grade 3 characters

Hello,

My autistic son has been using time4learning for the last 3 years or so. He enjoyed the language and math in K, grade 1 and grade 2. We just started using Grade 3, and I have to say that my son and me are very annoyed with it. Specifically we just finished synonyms and nearly done with antonyms in language arts, and the characters there talk too fast and spout too many words. In other words - too much information. The characters are literally motormouths and they are annoying both me and my son. I hope you correct this soon. Im under the impression that a different programming team made grade 3 as it just pales in comparison with K, grade 1 and grade 2. 'Im sorry but so far grade 3 language arts is really terrible. We have not tried the grade 3 math so we cannot cooment on that yet.

sincerely

Tony

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tonton View Post
    Hello,

My autistic son has been using time4learning for the last 3 years or so. He enjoyed the language and math in K, grade 1 and grade 2. We just started using Grade 3, and I have to say that my son and me are very annoyed with it. Specifically we just finished synonyms and nearly done with antonyms in language arts, and the characters there talk too fast and spout too many words. In other words - too much information. The characters are literally motormouths and they are annoying both me and my son. I hope you correct this soon. Im under the impression that a different programming team made grade 3 as it just pales in comparison with K, grade 1 and grade 2. 'Im sorry but so far grade 3 language arts is really terrible. We have not tried the grade 3 math so we cannot cooment on that yet.

sincerely

Tony
    Hi Tony,

Thank you so much for sharing. I can totally understand how that would be overstimulating. We are doing grade three right now with one of our boys and though we didn't struggle with that, I did find that I had to mute the sound when he needed time to work on a problem because it would keep chiming in loudly, repeating the question, if it took him longer than 60 seconds.

I do know that Time4Learning just contracts with Compass Learning who is the creator of the curriculum. Normally Compass only allows public/private schools to use their curriculum and Time4Learning has the rights to open this availability to families on their own, outside of the school situation. I share this because we are not able to change the content of the lessons, but we can certainly pass on wonderful feedback like your own.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

crickbrie is offline Member

Hi Tony,
    I have to agree with you, but my 9 year old daughter on the other hand really thinks it's funny. I think there is a pretty big jump between the 2nd and 3rd levels as far as the age content. I feel level 2 is fun and cute but the 3rd level is a bit obnoxious. I was disappointed in the Science and Social Studies in the area of going from fun animation to read on you own. My daughter struggles with reading and this has been a big damper on those 2 subjects.
    Christy

amybatha is offline Junior Member

Default 3rd grade curriculm

My son uses the time4learning system, He is 14 but is way behind academcially. We started out on the 2nd grade level to make sure that he has the basic skills and were planning on moving up, he has recently finished the 2nd grade level but has found the 3rd grade level much more difficult, less animation and much more reading. He does not want to do the reading and becomes impatinet with me reading to him. I am not sure what to do at this point. HELP!