Complete curriculum pre-k-8th grade
    smilbrandt is offline Junior Member

Default Complete curriculum pre-k-8th grade

Hello,

I have a three year old son who may be autistic/sensory processing (still seeking a diagnosis). I've been looking at T4L possibly starting next year (he is enjoying the pre-k 1 this year and does well with what he will work on but he will only focus on certain sections, such as the transportation unit or farm animals unit and we'll have to play the songs in the TV sections over and over again).

My question is can I use T4L as a complete curriculum for him? I have noticed that science and social studies is not offered in some grades. Also, spelling, handwriting and writing is not offered. What books/programs/websites should I use to supplement for these subjects? What subjects are necessary grade by grade that aren't covered in T4L?

I know we have a long way to go as he is only just starting pre-k next year but I want to make sure I'm prepared for his future education.

Thank you!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi There,

Welcome to the forums! First of all, I am so glad you found Time4Learning so early in your journey. I have three sons with CAPD and one with ADD and went ten full years before we found it. Time4Learning has been such a blessing for our family.

Time4Learning includes complete math and language arts and as a bonus they offer science in grades 1-6 and social studies in grades 2-7th. I use Time4Learning as the core program for my three younger sons. (8, 10 & 14) In addition, I add Calculadder math drill, Ready writing for writing skills and Handwriting without Tears for penmanship.

Let me just tell you that I had been homeschooling for ten years before I found Time4Learning and was totally shocked when we completed our first year using it and my boys went up more in math than they ever had using any other program. I love it and I hope you do too
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Hi Mary,
    Thank you so much for your resources and encouragement. I know James is only three but I started him in a private preschool in March because family/friends kept telling me how important it is to start him early on education and socialization.
    His pre-k teacher is the one that noticed signs of autism but he seems to have gone downhill since starting school three months ago. His communication skills are getting worse, his hyperactivity is becoming destructive and he is becoming aggressive toward my husband and our dog. Iím concerned, especially with the aggression because I have a baby due in August. We are working with North Carolinaís special education department to find a diagnosis and he just started speech and OT last week. Hopefully, we will get him diagnosed soon.
    I did pull him out of pre-k about two weeks ago and his behavior is improving already. He loves the one on one interaction he can get at home with me. We are using Itty Bitty Bookworm as a pre-k curriculum, mostly for ideas on arts and crafts, stories and fun activities. I am thinking of homeschooling him in the future because he does well with me and although I am thankful for her input I donít like the fact that his pre-k teacher has already labeled him. I feel like he will carry a stigma throughout his school years that will hold him back. I just want to do whatís best for James and Iím weighing all my options now. I know Iím getting ahead of myself as far as what curriculum to use but I want to make sure he is getting everything he needs if I do decide to homeschool.
    T4L looks like a wonderful curriculum program. Heís not quite ready now but in a few years I think it would be a great curriculum for him to use.
    Thank you,
    Susan

Blog Entries

Susan,

You are NOT getting ahead of yourself. I wish I had started when my kids were younger. I love how proactive you are being in making sure that your son gets the BEST possible care. I have found that with my special needs children I let them take longer to work through the assignments. Did I understand correctly that you are using the "Time4Learning PreK" or are you using a brick and mortar pre-k program? I just want to make sure that I am on the same page with you. (Big Warm Smile)

Congratulations on your new baby! How exciting
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Hi Mary,

Thank you, we are very excited to add a baby girl to our family.

I'm currently using Itty Bitty Bookworm its a literature based pre-k program designed for large preschools and home daycare provides but it can work for a single child as well. They offer really great suggestions on dramatic play, stories, arts and crafts and fun hands on learning activities for children 3-5 years old. Each month has a different theme and it costs about $20 a month for a download. I feel that this program works for James right now because learning is hands on and play based.

I tried the T4L pre-k for him but I feel he's not quite ready for it. He get's stuck on certain themes like the transportation and farm animal's (those are the only two topics we have worked on in a month's subscription). It could be an autisitic trait where he enjoys the repetition or it could just be his age. I do love the program based on what I've seen and will try it again when he turns four or five.

Blog Entries

That totally makes sense. I have found oftentimes that when my child is struggling if I give them time to mature it makes a HUGE difference. Do you have a name picked out yet for your precious little one?

Mary,

Yes, her name will be Paige Anne. I have always loved the name Paige and Anne is my mother's name which I love also.

Your right about taking it slow. He's so young he really needs a program that's play based, once he get's older we can try T4L.

Susan

Blog Entries

Oh Susan,

I LOVE that name! My sister is named Paige, but I really love when you add the "Anne" to it.

Edwina is offline Junior Member Newbie

My son was diagnosed as "Learning Delayed" when he was about 18 months. The doctor told us to put him in a program that was half an hour from where we lived. THey came by bus at about :30 in the morning and brought him back about %pm every night. We hardly saw him for two years. We moved and we were told to transfer him to another program like the one he was in, in the new city we were moving to. Again, he was away most of the day for another two years. Then, I found out that he didn't have to be in these "programs", that I could take him myself to therapy twice a week and homeschool him! I am disappointed that I was incouraged to follow the plan we did. I wish I could go back and learn more before I follwed the doctors "orders"? During this time, almost from the beginning, I was telling them that I thought he had Asperger Syndrome like his older brother. They kept telling me they didn't think he did. Then, right before I took him out of the program he was in, they suggested my son had Autism. Aspergers and Autism is in the same grouping! I wish now that I had pushed more, after all, I am his mother!

I am using T4L and also making my own curriculum. We make lapbooks about dinosaurs. I have to! Because he has Autism, he's "stuck" on dinosaurs. A lot of the time if dinosaurs aren't involved, he isn't interested. But, because of the playground, I can incourage him to do some "work" on T4L and he earns time on the playground. I am soooo happy you have it!

Blog Entries

Oh Edwina, Thank you for sharing your story. How many of us would make the exact same choice if put in your position. The truth is, there is no instructors manuel for us mommies who have these amazing children born to them. On a personal note, I am very thankful that nothing is a surprise to the Lord and that He uses it all for good. He redeems our days and gives us NEW mercies every morning. I can tell that you are an exceptional homeschool mom! God bless you as you serve!!!

Mary