Disconnected Kids
    five_blessed is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Disconnected Kids

Hello everyone! I just wondered if any of you have read a book entitled Disconnected Kids? I picked it up at the Southeast Homeschool Expo this past weekend. I've started it, and so far, it makes TONS of sense! I'm just wondering why it took me so long to find this info. So far, it seems that the doctor who wrote the book, uses unconventional methods for treating ADHD, autism, Tourette's Sydrome, and any other type of neurological issues in children. I'm excited and just wondered if anyone had used the information to "treat" their children or actually taken them to one of the centers for treatment.

Thanks,
    Rhonda
    Blessings,
    Rhonda

It's Time4Learning. And Fun!

"Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by five_blessed View Post
    Hello everyone! I just wondered if any of you have read a book entitled Disconnected Kids? I picked it up at the Southeast Homeschool Expo this past weekend. I've started it, and so far, it makes TONS of sense! I'm just wondering why it took me so long to find this info. So far, it seems that the doctor who wrote the book, uses unconventional methods for treating ADHD, autism, Tourette's Sydrome, and any other type of neurological issues in children. I'm excited and just wondered if anyone had used the information to "treat" their children or actually taken them to one of the centers for treatment.

Thanks,
    Rhonda
    Rhonda, I have not heard of it, but I love a good recommendation. Does it address Auditory Processing issues?
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

five_blessed is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Yes, Mary! It does address CAPD. As a matter of fact, it states that most childhood neurological disorders that affects behavior and academic success comes from one primary problem, with the symptoms just being different. Being a nurse, you'll be able to see quickly that it makes PERFECT SENSE! More sense that anything that I've investigated up to this date.

Basically, at some point and for some reason, these children have one side of their brain that doesn't grow at a normal rate and therefore the brain is not balanced. These reasons can stem from traumatic pregnancy/delivery to environmental influences after birth through childhood. The "Brain Balance Program", first helps you to realize how the brain works, how the imbalances can happen, and what happens during right and left brain imbalances (as far as symptoms). After that, they help you in determining IF your child has a "functional disconnect" and if so, which side of the brain it's on. Sometimes, there's problems on both sides. After that, they take you through exercise that will help the child to gain strength in the weak side. Basically, up until now, I have found that experts try to focus on the strengths and that makes the symptoms of whatever "problem" worse; essentially, makes the weak, weaker. They address dietary concerns as a major issue also, with focus on underlying allergies that maybe has not been detected. Once all offenses have been removed and the weak side strengthened, the symptoms disappear. There are many testimonies in the book and I just think God took me to that expo to get my attention with this information. I'm convinced that if I can have the strength to make it through, it will "cure" my Seth. I am also convinced that it would help other children that have some type of neurological disorder. The only disorders that it claims not to be able to help are those in which there is actual brain injury or what they call "true" personality disorders. There are also centers in which you can take your child for enrollment in the Brain Balance program. They are fairly sparsely located. The nearest to me would be Peachtree City in Atlanta so it's not too feasible for me unless there were no other options. The book supplies the same info, but you just have to be committed to following through. It takes about one hour, three times per week.

I'm sorry that was so lengthy, but if it can help others, it's worth the time. I'll get back to you with the doctor who wrote the book.

Blessings,
    Rhonda
    Blessings,
    Rhonda

It's Time4Learning. And Fun!

"Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I made it to the workshop at the convention. It was very good. I also purchased the book and am reading it. It certainly DOES make total sense, and helps me feel that a cure, not a bandage is possible. I wish they had more locations, but I also know they are pretty pricey!
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jpenn View Post
    I made it to the workshop at the convention. It was very good. I also purchased the book and am reading it. It certainly DOES make total sense, and helps me feel that a cure, not a bandage is possible. I wish they had more locations, but I also know they are pretty pricey!
    That is so cool Jackie! Thank you Rhonda for this great resource. I hope to see them speak as well;-)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

I haven't read that one, but I have seen some people talking about it on autism boards. I think I saw the book at Barnes & Noble, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

As for doing therapy at home, we have gone that route with a lot of success. My son seemed like he was so far behind (a year behind at age 2) and now we're talking about the possibility of him entering a regular classroom once he hits kindergarten next year. So it is definitely possible. It takes a lot of time and work, but it's always worth it.
    Melissa.