does anyone have a child with tourettes ,ocd , dysgraphia and...?
    hasmrs1995 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default does anyone have a child with tourettes ,ocd , dysgraphia and...?

so hi to u all !
    so here is the deal ... i am an accidently homeschool mom!
    i have a son with tourettes , dysgraphia and everything that comes along with it!
    my daughter has adhd.
    i am wondering if anyone else knows what i am going thru my son is 8 and daughter is 10

five_blessed is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi and warm welcome!

My name is Rhonda and I have a 9-year-old son who has Tourette's. He also, as you say, has a multitude of things that seem to go along with Tourette's! So, yes, I do know what you are going through! I have tried to keep things as normal as possible for my son and have tried to keep myself 'low-key' about the situation also. The tics wax and wane, and with the waxing and waning, I too, seem to wax and wane with emotions! It's a hard thing to see your child have to endure such! I think it bothers me much more than my son, some days! How long have you known your son has Tourette's? How about your daughter with ADHD? That's also very stressful. I have two with that! Please share with me some of the ways you handle the stress and the road to learning! You might want to consider joining your STATE GROUP here on Time4Learning. Just click on the link to the left where it says STATE GROUP and all the states will come up. You can then scroll down to your state and join the group. You'll find a lot of useful info and also be able to connect with people in your state/area that might also have children with Tourette's and/or ADHD.
    Last edited by five_blessed; 05-17-2010 at 10:24 PM.
    Blessings,
    Rhonda

It's Time4Learning. And Fun!

"Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

hasmrs1995 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default hi

thank you first of all for replying
    its been a long hard road and its so hard because i dont have a lot of support. family members included. its so hard because people have a fixation on what they believe tourettes is and my son does not have this typical signs. he gives up before starts its sad. BUT one thing i am doing is constantly talking to him(and he fights me but i know he hears me)about his importance. he is so worthy and school is such a struggle because his writing problem. he loves the online part of school but getting him to write is making me nuts. he has whats called dysgraphia and it physically hurts to write i am able to take him to occupational therepy but its out of pocket ... i just cant at this time but will when i can. when u ask me how long we known. wow that is a great question! There were signs and signs i am not sure if it was partial denial lol on my part or what but looking back i knew something was up and when things came to a head i had to deal with it -- because i love him and he was sufferingso much. but we offically got the word proberly like close to two years now. after many doctor visits and neurologists it was comfirmed.
    so my husband and i call his issue - anyone want a little tourettes with thier coffee today? its funny unless u are living it you dont get it and i bet u get that. my daughter is adhd but besides her bouts of popcorning it around the house she does good.
    but i bet you have realized that your son may have the tourettes but its really your family having it too.
    thank you i have so much to say but i will let you return if u are comfortable thank you and its strange there does not seam to be much of any thing here as in the way of tourets support

Andeegirl is offline Junior Member Newbie

My son does not have an offical Diagnosis of tourettes but rather Chronic Vocal Tic Disorder. We have had that diagnosis for about 8 months but I have noticed more that Tyler make a lot of "faces" while he is doing his vocal tic, he also puts his hand to his mouth repeatedly but he told me back in October that its because he did not want me to see him making noises but I think maybe its a motor tic. I am in no hurry for him to be diagnosised but I am going to need to address it soon. He is currently still in public school but he will not be returning next year. His teacher (who is wonderful) tells me his two biggest problems are the noises (which she tolerates very well) and the fact that he takes 2 to 3 times as long as everyone else to do his work. So I decided to pull him out of school next year and homeschool him where his noises wont bother anyone and he can work at his own pace. I have had some resistence from my inlaws but mostly everyone has been very supportive. I know I may not be able to offer much support as I am new to home schooling but I wanted to let you know that I was here.

PerfectStorm is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am new to the board, but saw this and wanted to chime in. My son has dysgraphsia and I have such issues with his writing in public school. He is in 3rd grade now, but we will be moving during the middle of school year next year so I am looking into homeschooling him as an option to avoid changing schools mid-year and him flipping out. He has a tic disorder and it comes and goes. Medication for his ADhd helped more than anything, but the meds didnt sit well on his stomach so we've moved him to a different medication and I'm waiting to see how the tics do.

MommaKnows is offline Junior Member

Hi! We have a 10yo son with dysgraphia and tics that come and go and change but no Tourettes diagnosis. (No OCD, so no diagnosis.) We also have an 11yo son who has multiple diagnosis (PDD-NOS, developmental dyspraxia, developmental delay, and ADHD). So I'm right there with you!

Quote Originally Posted by hasmrs1995 View Post
    so hi to u all !
    so here is the deal ... i am an accidently homeschool mom!
    i have a son with tourettes , dysgraphia and everything that comes along with it!
    my daughter has adhd.
    i am wondering if anyone else knows what i am going thru my son is 8 and daughter is 10

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

My child has been diagnosed with OCD , ADHD, and many of the the diagnoses associated with Dysgraphia, Though she has not yet been diagnosed with it but I really suspect she may have it or something like it. She hates writing words. She says she wants to learn to color better but will abolutely refuse to pick up a pencil to write. We have tried grippers, pencil sizes, turning papers, papers with raised bumps or canals for her to feel or follow, tracing, pen pals, everyone asking her to write them a note, picture identification ( drawing then telling a story about it). I have managed one thing and according to her that is torture too and that is writing the ABC's. She says she can not mess that up but she does not like it. She is extremely afraid of misspelling and beat herself up if a word is sounded out and not spelled out correctly and I think this has to do with her speech issue because she still says many things incorrectly.
    Whether she has it or not she is not going to get out of writing from me. She will have to learn it like she had to learn eye contact and talking. Having kids use computers or talking device to replace it I think is a mistake. I think those devices are a great supplement to keep them from falling behind but writing should not be done away with. We all have to practice at something.

well have to go daughter decided she really wants to be a scientist today and burned something up in the microwave.