Dont know which level to start on, help please
    mamabear72 is offline Junior Member

Default Dont know which level to start on, help please

Hi there,

I am mom to a 13 yr old son with Aspergers. He is currently in 7th grade, working at about a 5/6th grade math and english level. We are thinking of pulling him out of public school as the teachers do not understand the sensory disorders of children with Aspergers.

My problem is I don't have a clue as to what level to start my son at.
    Are there placement tests avail here?

thank you kindly,
    Kristen

AlexSp Ed is offline Junior Member

Default more 2 follow

I don't claim to know everything, but I think your child's academic performance is not bad. I've seen progress profiles that match your child's characteristics, which are way lower.

I would ask you to consider the pros and cons of pulling him out. Daily interactions with peers are essential for building social skills. Maybe there is a more experienced and skilled special ed professional within the school district or county office of education that could give you and the child's teachers some help in adequately meeting the child's needs. You can call the special education director or the special education psychologist to come up with a new intervention strategy.

As for the level, or the test, let me ask a Doctor whose wing I'm under. She's the lead special ed faculty member at my graduate campus.

Personally, I'd be cautious about pulling a child out of school on impulse.
    Have you ever considered what your child might want?

crickbrie is offline Member

Hi Kristen,
    It took me a few months once I took my daughter out of school to figure out how she learned best. Giving your child the one on one attention is the perfect opportunity to get to know them and reconnect. I did just pull her out of school (thought of homeschooing in January and took her out in February) and we worked together to reach our current teaching style. It took us about 9 months to be happy and confident with what we do. My daughter is dyslexic and has sensory processing disorder and it was very diffucult for her peers to understand her behavior. She no longer is subject to the sort of unacceptable behavior she was being forced to endure by keeping her in school. We belong to a wonderful homeschool support group and have many field trips and outings which gives her more than enough social time. She is often overstimulated by big groups and loud noises. Already a child not cut out for traditional school.
    The most important part of this decision is what's best for your child. Does he enjoy school? Does he have many friends in school he does not want to leave? Is he shy, withdrawn, insecure? As far as homeschooling him if you're considering it then you can do it. You are his mom and know what is best for him. If it doesn't work out you can always put him back in school.
    Best of Luck I know the concerns and challenges as I went through this life changing decision last year. Which turned out to be the best decision for my daughter.
    Christy