Dyslexia

Thread: Dyslexia

Kim
    Kim is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Dyslexia

Does anyone here have a dyslexic child who has gone throught the 1st grade LA activities, and then felt like the 2nd grade was moving too fast for them? The fluency readings really frustrate mine.

alearningadventure is offline Member Regular

My daughter is dyslexic, but we just started T4L last summer. My daughter is 4th grade doing 3rd grade LA. She didn't like LA because it was "too hard" so I let her slow down and I helped her read some of it. I also let her redo some lessons. She is now working fairly independently. Kelly and Kerry have both been great about helping me to let my daughter go at her pace. (Thanks to you both I have also just started Sequential Spelling by AVCO. ALthough she is still struggling with spelling, their method is to build on words and let the child self correct rather than a page full of red x's! This seems to be helping too.

This doesn't exactly anser your question but I hope it helps. Laura

Syd'sMom is offline Member

Default Re: Dyslexia

Congrats to you on an early diagnosis. It gives your child a huge advantage. If you haven't heard of it, read about the Orton Gillingham method of teaching a dyslexic child. It was the only thing that helped my daughter. It can be implemented into just about any curriculum, but you will have to help a lot. Also suggest reading some of the Hank Zipzer books by Henry Winkler. They are around the 5th grade reading level so you will have to do all of the reading, but they really boosted my daughter's belief that she wasn't alone. They also helped my understand what she feels like. We started T4L after you. Sorry I can't help with your specific question.

Carla is offline Member Regular

I too have a child with dyslexia. We did not start T4L til she was in fifth grade. I truly understand your frustations with reading fluency. We tried soooo many reading programs, phonics programs were too hard for her, she understood the letter sounds but could not put them together to read smoothly. She would be so choppy as she needed to concentrate on each letter. The book The Gift of Dyslexia helped us get through the beginning reading stages.
    A lot of times I will read the social studies and science lessons on T4L to her. She doesn't like the voice of Petey the Parrot. The animations in the language program are a great help to keep her focused. Wish they could liven up the science and history.

JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

Kim
    Have you looked at using the Language Arts Extensions for first grade before moving onto second grade? They can serve as a bridge for those who find the transition too abrupt.

Here is a quick overview of the lesson plans by subject by grade levels including the language arts extensions.

There is even more detail on the lessons (printables, quizzes etc) if you login through your parent account.

John
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning: Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum for Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!
    Time4MathFacts: Automated Game-Based math facts practice, a foundation for future math success.
    Time4Languages: Ten of Rosetta-Stone's legendary language learning programs provided at reduced costs to T4L members

ccpeterson is offline Member

Yes, I had the same problem with my son. A program that I am now using for Spelling, also works to improve their reading. It is also Orton Gillingham based which is very effective with dyslexics. It is http://www.allaboutspelling.com/ccpeterson . I highly recommend it!
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

chapswife is offline Junior Member Newbie

Reading all of these tips were great! My son has Aspergers, an Auditory Processing issue and is now thought to have dyslexia. I have been ingnoring spelling right now because I have been overwhelmed and had no idea where to start......but now I do!!!
    Military Wife
    Mom of 4 amazing kids
    (homeschooling one of them)
    and a daughter of the King!!!!!

Kess is offline Member

Ccpeterson,

My daughter struggles with spelling as well, but does OK with reading. While I was searching for a book that Kelly recommended, I came across All About Spelling and am curious about it. Do you mind if I ask how long you spend on each lesson? Do you use it everyday and if so how long each day do you spend on it? The book Kelly recommended (Spelling Power) suggests about 5 – 7 minutes a day. The book is huge and pricey so I would just like to compare.

Kess

AnointedHsMom is offline Junior Member

I'm late to this thread but I also have to recommend All About Spelling. We spend no more than 15 minutes on it. I set a timer and when it dings we stop. Another spelling program I recommend for dyslexia is AVKO's Sequential Spelling.

I haven't tested my son but I suspect dyslexia for him. We love AAS but I trying out the free 1st lessons of SS just to see how my son does with it.
    In Christ,
    Paige in TN
    Married to the love of my life Adam
    Mom to Joshua 13 Abeka and ACE, All About Spelling
    Jacob 6 All About Reading, HWOT, T4L, Abeka, FAIR
    http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

Kess is offline Member

Thank you for your response. AAS sounds very interesting. It really helps to hear from people who have actually used a program before going and purchasing it. My daughter hasn't been tested for dyslexia either (although her PS teacher didn't feel she had it). Her reading is fine, but her spelling is terrible. I've been doing some research online and have found that there is a different form of dyslexia which affects the spelling more than reading, but there is not much info...not much is known about it yet. From what I've read so far about it, it really describes her symptoms. So, thanks again on your input on the spelling programs. I really appreciate it!

Kess