Dyslexia
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By topsytechie

Thread: Dyslexia

JMF
    JMF is offline Junior Member

Default Dyslexia

My daughter has a mild form of Dyslexia and is really struggling with her handwriting and spelling. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can help her with this?

David Bara is offline Junior Member Newbie

Smile few tips

Quote Originally Posted by JMF View Post
    My daughter has a mild form of Dyslexia and is really struggling with her handwriting and spelling. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can help her with this?
    Here are few tried and tested tips for hand writing
    1. Are you using the correct pencil/pen. A child's grip is important you might want to get a pencil/pen grip to make it easier to hold the pen/pencil.

2. Sand/Rice (things like that)- out them in a tray and get your daughter to trace out the letters (this is a fine motor skills activity)

3. As above but in the air.

The aim of 2 & 3 are to get a child used to making the letter shape

Spelling- people learn to spell in different ways, whole word, phonics, by the shape of the word. You need to find out how your child spells (I see the word as a picture). Here a few ways

1. Look, cover, write, check (look at a word, cover it up, write it and then check if it is spelt correctly)
    2. Trace over the word
    3. Draw the shape of the word and then spell it
    4. Sound out the word before it is written.

I hope these help. If you want to see daily tips check out this website it has lots of useful tips

Teachme teachmykids

JMF
    JMF is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much for the tips. I am excited to try them on her.

topsytechie is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMF View Post
    JMF...definitely check out T4L's free e-book called "Successfully Homeschooling a Child with Dyslexia"....here is the download link: Parent Community and Forum - Successfully Homeschooling Your Child With Dyslexia
    lovehmschlg likes this.