Dyslexia and Dysgraphia (1st grade) NEW HERE...NEED HELP!!
    ChristianMomOf2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Dyslexia and Dysgraphia (1st grade) NEW HERE...NEED HELP!!

My first grade son has dyslexia and dysgraphia. He cannot read (well only some sight words). We are going to start The Barton Reading and Spelling program (an OG program for dyslexia). Can Time4Learning really help him learn his other school work. He loves computer games (like Jump Start). He gets bored easily and if it is not fun, he doesn't want to work. Really, it is a frustration problem, because he is so incredibly smart, but cannot do the reading and writing. Please help, please give me info about Time4Learning...Pros and Cons. Thanks so very much!!!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Dyslexia and Dysgraphia (1st grade) NEW HERE...NEED HELP!!

One of my daughters did the 1st grade program with T4L and as far as I remember, most of the lessons had directions given aloud. [I can't think of any that didn't, but I don't want to say NONE in case I missed something.] The reading had different options for read aloud or read with help (where you can click on a word and it would tell you what it was). If your son has an interest in a variety of topics, he will likely love T4L. The language arts extensions are taught through exploring different topics in science and social studies, like space, values, Native Americans, plants, animals, etc. The kids have so much fun exploring, I don't think they realize they're learning about language arts at the same time.

At least not until they get up to about the third grade and things become less animated. That's the level where things become more reading-intense. Our kids have so far worked on PreK, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th levels and they have liked them all so far. Some sections are more challenging than others, but overall I love the program. I know that with T4L, my kids' educational needs are being met and we can spend more time on the "fun" subjects instead of doing workbooks or something to teach the core. Though I must admit that my one daughter's favorite subject is science and the other is language arts.
    Melissa.

ChristianMomOf2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Dear SahmIam,

Thank you for your reply! It was helpful!!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi There,

This is a GREAT question! I think your child is going to find that the short lessons, interactive graphics and the ability to have the program read "to" the child is going to help him feel successful while having FUN! The great thing about Time4learning is that there are never any contracts. Give it a try and let us know how he does.

Blessings,
    Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/