Extra-curricular Activities or Electives
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Extra-curricular Activities or Electives

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Default Extra-curricular Activities or Electives

I have a daughter with special needs. She loves the Time4Learning curriculum. We supplement with educational videos and lots of reading (she loves to read). I'm looking for something for her to do in addition to T4L. What has worked for your child? She took ballet a couple of years. It worked at the time, but not now. She's in a homeschool PE group that's fun. What else can we do?

Has anyone done Special Olympics?
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

specialkidsspecialhugs is offline Junior Member

Default Music therapy

Quote Originally Posted by lovehmschlg View Post
    I have a daughter with special needs. She loves the Time4Learning curriculum. We supplement with educational videos and lots of reading (she loves to read). I'm looking for something for her to do in addition to T4L. What has worked for your child? She took ballet a couple of years. It worked at the time, but not now. She's in a homeschool PE group that's fun. What else can we do?

Has anyone done Special Olympics?
    maybe your daughter would enjoy music therapy. My daughter responds positively to music. In fact we're just beginning adapted lessons for special needs. The activities are varied and include a schedule to learn an instrument adapted for their strengths. Look in your area for certified music therapists!

Oh, that's a great idea. I hadn't even thought of that. But she definitely would love that. She loves music. It's funny because when she hears a song, she knows exactly who sings it. I don't keep track of that kind of stuff. When any of her siblings or my husband are playing music while they're working, she tends to go straight to that room and she sits right by the radio and sings/dances.

So I'm going to start asking around in my area. Maybe someone in our homeschool support group or one of her speech therapists or OT. Oh, and thank you for replying to me! I was beginning to think I'm the only one who comes into the Special Needs forum.
    Janet

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'm part of the management team in our local Special Olympics. The program is great because everything is adapted. For example, there is an athlete who just can't manage groups of people for longer than a few minutes at a time, so she only attends fifteen minutes of the hour-plus practices, and that's fine. In swimming, there are events ranging from a typical swimming "race" down to an event where the participants see who can walk across the shallow end of the pool the quickest. If they need someone to hold their hand and walk with them, that's fine, too. (My son will be trying that event next season. )

So . . . yes, I would encourage anyone who has a child with special needs to look into Special Olympics.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yes, Kelly, I'm definitely going to look into it. Right now it's soccer season and it's about half way into it. I think she would like bowling and maybe horseback riding. So we'll look into those.

Thanks!!
    Janet