Feeling So Sad For My Son..., Anyone else feel that way?
    MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Feeling So Sad For My Son..., Anyone else feel that way?

Though I have three sons (out of four) with Central Auditory Processing Disorder, but my #2 son struggles the most. It has become painfully apparent this past semester as I put him in two of my discussion classes at co-op. (I teach 5) It just breaks my heart. He doesn't make any sense and I can see the looks on the other kids faces as he says things that just don't connect.

One of those classes is called, "Preparing For Highschool" and it's based on the Strength's Explorer test that tells kids between the ages of 10-13/14 their top three strength's. We've been spending 11 weeks learning about our strength's and how they line up with possible career choices down the road and what type of classes would better help them to get a headstart.

This past week I asked each child to tell me which one of their three strength's do they feel most surprised them in the beginning, but now make sense. Every child answered that questions with no problem...,

"Organization! At first, all I could think of was how disorganized our little house felt, but now I understand that that's why I need my own dresser and drawer space" (Sophie 11 year old)

"Competition! I knew that I could be competitive. But I thought that was something bad, that I needed to work through. Now I see that it's what motivates me to be successful." (Samuel 14 year old)

"The guy who works at the park." (My Colton)

We have been inviting guest speakers to come in and share about their career choices and what they love about them. We had a park ranger two weeks ago. But because of his CAPD, he just misses the whole point. As the teacher I do jump in and save him, but I know that I can't do that in all his classes. I love this son so much. It breaks my heart. I know that LD children go through slumps. Sometimes they make great strides and sometimes they struggle and right now he's in a down phase. I thought I would share here because I know that YOU guys understand.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

denimay is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Feeling So Sad For My Son..., Anyone else feel that way?

Oh Mary.......I'm sending you a big (((HUG))) and hope you send it back. My son seems to be "slumping" at the moment as well. He doesn't communicate clearly so he often gets the odd looks and comments from other children. We went to his first funeral this last Saturday. The grandmother of our .....househelper...(there's no good English word for what she is to us) died on Friday after being quite ill most of the summer. Our Brenda has been with us since my son was new and is like a second mother to him. He knows her mom and dad and brothers and sisters and knew the grandmother too, though not well. I just felt that we had to go as we've been "family" for more than 8 years. We missed the service (they said 4pm but managed to get it started a little after 3pm) and arrived as the coffin was being moved from the church to the back of a pick-up truck to go to the cemetery. I think they used a small china cabinet for the coffin....it had 3 square windows in it. Some of the adults and several children went over and looked into the windows. My son was invited to look as well.

Then we went to the cemetery...most walked behind the truck with the coffin...we drove our truck and hauled some people in the back with us. The custom here is to put the box in the (predug) hole and have a prayer and then everyone stays while the grave is completely filled.......in this instance each family member put a few shovels full and others tossed handfuls and then the majority was done by 6-8 male relatives. It takes a long time to fill a grave by hand....this is a part I don't like, but we stayed until they started to put (plastic) flowers on the grave.

My son did not seem upset, but he did ask me several times IF and WHY they were "hiding" both the grandma and the box (holding the grandma) in the ground. He was concerned...but I'm not sure why....I'm not sure he really understands what 'dead' is yet.

He did understand that our Brenda and her family were very sad and he did his best to comfort them. He was so sweet and empathetic and well-behaved I just got a little overwhelmed with love and pride. It kind of helps balance out the fact that he just doesn't want to do SCHOOL even though he wants to be able to read; he just wants to skip learning the ABC's and the sounds and the rhyming words............*L*

I know I can't run interference for my little guy forever..........but I'm going to be close by for a very long time, God willing........I figure special kids are given to specific people for a reason...and that reason may be to make us special too.

BTW......Colton's response about "the guy who works in the park" makes perfect sense to me. He obviously sees some admirable quality in this man that he identifies with on a personal level. Perhaps your son loves nature and would like to protect it and the animals that live in the forrest...??? Perhaps not having to deal with so many PEOPLE all the time is appealing....????

Here's hoping the current "slump" is nearing an end.........for all of us.
    cheers! deni........
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thank you Deni, I needed that hug. Every once in awhile it will hit me that my child is different and for a split second the worry will begin to permeate that peace from Christ. I have to take that thought captive immediately. I love all the questions your little guy was asking. Those are the moments when we know they trust us above all else. (smile) Love you Deni and I hope you guys have an AMAZING Thanksgiving;-)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

denimay is offline Senior Member

Mary....I hope your family has a wonderful thanksgiving as well........we're going to a friend's house....I miss my family most this time of year. I've been having a bad few weeks....my son just doesn't want to do "school" even though when he stops complaining he shows some interest.....as well, he seems to have "forgotten" all the things he KNEW yesterday, last week, last year. I feel so INCOMPETENT!! On the other hand, we went to visit the "primos" (cousins.......the Honduran family all live together on one lot of small houses... anyhow.......my MIL called out for Ale and he said, "Aqui estoy!" (here I am) in perfectly clear Spanish and everyone looked surprised and then began to laugh...........and several (all at the same time) asked, "Ale, hablas Espanol?" (Do you speak Spanish?) and he laughed and said, "Claro que si!" (Of course!) and laughed with them.

He's always spoken Spanish (and English).....he just doesn't speak clearly in any language. But it was a comforting moment; especially since he has much younger cousins who have no speech problems and who talk easily and therefore appear much "smarter" than my little boy.

Times have been very hard this last couple of years and I'm still struggling to understand the lessons I'm supposed to be learning. This summer has been especailly difficult as there was a "coup" in Honduras the end of June and that has caused an immense amount of tension on top of the seriously dreadful economic conditions. The elections are on Sunday and the whole country is being shutdown from noon Friday until Monday morning. And it's raining (as it should be...being the "rainy season"). I'm turning on all of my full-spectrum lights and making crafts and playing music and watching favorite videos to try and keep things a bit upbeat.

Please say a prayer for Honduras.....we need these elections to be clean and violence free; and we need the world to recognize them so that the country can get back to normal.

I so appreciate you being here! deni.......
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313