Fetal alcohol syndrome
    candpaud is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Fetal alcohol syndrome

WE ADOPTED A FAS CHILD AND HAD NO IDEA WHAT WE WOULD BE FACING. HE IS NOW 11 YEARS OLD AND IS BARELY FUNCTIONING ON A SECOND TO THIRD GRADE LEVEL. ONE DAY, HE COMPLETELY UNDERSTANDS WHAT IS TAUGHT AND THE NEXT DOES NOT REMEMBER AT ALL BUT THEN MAY REMEMBER AGAIN LATER. HE IS VERY HANDS ON WITH HIS LEARNING STYLE. HE HAS A VERY LIMITED ABSTRACT LEARNING ABILITY. HE IS NOT SELF MOTIVATED AT ALL. DOES NOT FOLLOW DIRECTIONS WELL. HE READS VERY WELL HOWEVER, HE DOES NOT COMPREHEND MUCH OF IT. WE HAVE BEEN HOMESCHOOLING FOR ALMOST 4 YEARS. WE ARE VERY HANDS ON AND ENCOURAGING FOR EVERYTHING HE IS ABLE TO DO. HE GETS LOTS OF POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT. WE STRUGGLE DAILY AND WONDER IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS OR IF ANYONE ELSE IS DEALING WITH FAS. THANKS CINDY

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fetal alcohol syndrome

Hi Cindy,

I do not have children with FAS, but I do have sons who struggle with Central Auditory Processing Disorder and they sound a lot like what your son is going through. They struggle to hang onto information presented verbally and if they do seem to get it, it can all be gone by the next morning. We are in our 12th year of homeschooling and have used a gamut of curriculum choices out there. Time4Learning changed our life ten years into our journey. Because of the strong graphics and interactive media my boys w/ CAPD were able to hang onto the information so they could build on it.

Also, when you say he is not very self motivated, he reminds me very much of my oldest son who is now 18. I used to say that all the time. Then this past year I heard an amazing speaker at our homeschool convention who introduced us to an amazing test called Strength Finders 2.0. This scientific test will tell you and your student their top five strength's, based on 34 themes. It's almost eerie how dead on it is. I remember reading my sons results and began thinking back on several experiences. The went on as I saw that he was not lazy or unmotivated, but his strength's lie within his incredible "Adaptability" theme.

You live in the moment. You donít see the future as a fixed destination. Instead, you see it as a place that you create out of the choices that you make right now. And so you discover your future one choice at a time. This doesnít mean that you donít have plans. You probably do. But this theme of Adaptability does enable you to respond willingly to the demands of the moment even if they pull you away from your plans. Unlike some, you donít resent sudden requests or unforeseen detours. You expect them. They are inevitable. Indeed, on some level you actually look forward to them. You are, at heart, a very flexible person who can stay productive when the demands of work are pulling you in many different directions at once.

What I realized was that this child is not motivated if he doesn't have anything on his radar, but he does step up to the plate when he has a plan or project presented to him. For instance, I felt like I had to drag him out of bed to start his day when we had school to do. However, when he got his first job at 15, working part time for a friends vacuum store, he completely floored me. All of a sudden, he began setting his alarm all on his own, getting up, getting his shower, making sure his clothes were washed, dried and ready the night before. He would pack his lunch. He got up and did his school. Because he knew that if those things weren't done he couldn't have a job. Last year, I had him take some classes at a local homeschool co-op and he rode with our neighbor. Once again he would set his alarm for 5 a.m., make his lunch, get dressed and be out the door just as I was getting going. If he didn't have anything he could sleep until 1pm or if I made him get up he seemed to slump around.

Once I saw what his strength was we began having our morning meeting time. He's older so we both have coffee and I bring my list of to-do things for him and he tells me things he would like to accomplish. At first, I would help him put together his schedule for the day. Now he puts it together and shows me for accountability purposes. I hope this helps..., Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/