Grade Levels and Advancing
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lovehmschlg

Thread: Grade Levels and Advancing

bbooth is offline Member

Default Grade Levels and Advancing

My daughter is autistic and struggles with reading comprehension and also with math. She is in 3rd grade doing 2nd grade math and reading. If she isn't advancing past a certain point is it okay to just keep her in 2nd grade subjects? I don't know if it is required that she be on grade level with our situation.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi! Welcome to Time4Learning.

No, it is not required that she be on grade level. That is what I love about Time4Learning. It is a curriculum, not a school. We are still the teacher of record. We use the curriculum as it best fits for our children. My daughter has Down syndrome. She is in different grade levels for different subjects and she works at her own pace. She is definitely not at grade level for her age, but she is progressing wonderfully and enjoying learning. That's what is truly important.
    bbooth likes this.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

bbooth is offline Member

Thank you for the information! I was just worried that it would be required she be on a certain level by the end of the year, but that is just not possible in my situation. Thanks again!

SandyKC is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovehmschlg3 View Post
    Hi! Welcome to Time4Learning.

No, it is not required that she be on grade level. That is what I love about Time4Learning. It is a curriculum, not a school. We are still the teacher of record. We use the curriculum as it best fits for our children. My daughter has Down syndrome. She is in different grade levels for different subjects and she works at her own pace. She is definitely not at grade level for her age, but she is progressing wonderfully and enjoying learning. That's what is truly important.
    That's one of the biggest benefits of homeschooling. You can let your DD progress at different paces in each subject as she is able. She can be at second grade in one subject and seventh in another! We had a WIDE variation when we began homeschooling because my DS was a non-reader when we pulled him out of public school and started homeschooling.