Hello everyone! I'm new to homeschooling and need advice for special needs!
    Tuckersmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hello everyone! I'm new to homeschooling and need advice for special needs!

I just joined the forum and am looking for support and advice on homeschooling a 5 year old with ADHD, language disorder, dyslexia and general learning disabilities. We are actually having him tested today to find out what all we are looking at. I removed him from public school to work with him at home because I feel he needs to work at his own pace and needed the one on one instruction. The fun part is, I have two other children that are remaining in public school. I have an 8 yr old daughter and a 12 yr old son so I am juggling homeschool, a 2nd grader and a 6th grader. Help!! Any advice and support would be great, plus any resources that anyone feels may help with the special needs. Thanks!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Glad you decided to jump in this forum, Tuckersmom! O.K., everyone, send some support, resources, and helpful ideas to Tuckersmom.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

meredithgloria is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hey! I am new to Time4Learning and still semi-new to homeschooling myself. I homeschooled my daughter the second half of last year due to some medical issues and just pulled her last Friday and started homeschooling again. I do however remember what it felt like as I just barely started out. I would say trust yourself and forget all that you know of normal school, just because public school is in session from 8-3 (or whatever it is where you are) doesn't mean that you need to do those hours. Field trips are an awesome teaching opportunity and whatever you do, don't take yourself too seriously. Give both yourself and him some time to just get the hang of things, see how it goes and find what works for you two. One of my best purchases was a year pass to the local zoo. I also have a 6th grader in public school. As far as the special needs go, don't forget the socialization. Find a local homeschooling group, after school program at a church or whatever and the actual education part will fall into place as you two find your rhythm.

Tuckersmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks! I have been searching for support groups in my area. Luckily, he does play soccer so he is able to interact with other kids and use some energy while he is at it. I plan on keeping him in soccer year round because I believe it is doing wonders for him! We tried baseball last spring and boy was that a hard one. He is very athletic but the ADHD really kicked it and he was the kid climbing in the dugouts! I know in my heart that things will fall into place. Thanks for the encouragement!