Hello! We are new to Time4learning!
    ZellerC is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hello! We are new to Time4learning!

Hello,

I just found Time4learning online and had my son try the tutorial and he was really liking it. I have battled with him homeschooling since 2007! I had him at 26 weeks so he was a micropreemie and along with being born so early he does have maturity issues as well as some autistic tendencies(I believe Asbergers) and is severely dyslexic and has combined type ADHD which we tried medicating with too many side effects so we stopped. My whole goal with Luke has been to meet him where he is at. He is learning but very slowly. I really do not know what grade level to classify him in as he is all over the board. Math is his nemesis and he hates it. I am hopefull that with this program we can get him caught up to 6th grade this year! I am not punching a clock with him as he gets things when he gets them on his own timing. He is 11 years old and is just figuring out that my sisters and brother are his Aunties and Uncle. It is commen sense things like that that seem like all of a sudden a light bulb switches on for him and he understands it. I know Luke is not comparable to his age group counterparts as he is so far behind them, but we are not running a race here. I just want him to be able to understand what he needs to know to one day be able to try to care for himself one day as an adult. He overcame all odds and survived his early birth which was huge! Anyway, we are excited and I look forward to being able to communicate with people who may understand what we are going through! Thank you for listening!-Chris

mcmary is offline Member

Hi Chris- welcome! We are fairly new to T4L. My daughter (age 12) also has special needs but has had a lot of interventions (physical therapy, occupational therapy, hippotherapy, and educational therapy) and has made a lot of progress. One-on-one learning is ideal for kids with learning differences. We only use T4L for a few subjects (this year she's doing T4L social studies and language art- I read some of it out loud to her since she's an auditory learner). My daughter used to be in the first percentile for math but is now at grade level. She uses Saxon math (my dad, who used to be a math professor, is her instructor). He loves it because it's cyclical and continually reinforces concepts. In order for your son to reach grade level in math I recommend that you make sure he gets a firm understanding of number sense before proceeding (go back to square one if necessary) and make sure that he learns his math facts (old-fashioned I know, but necessary for math fluency). We used flashcards but there are lots of online games to help if needed. Anyhow, I could relate to your math comment so I thought I'd add a few comments. I hope you don't mind! Again, Welcome!

likeSarahC is offline Junior Member Newbie

Chris,
    We're brand new to T4L as well. Our daughter has "profound" dyslexia and we have her in tutoring as well as homeschooling. Her tutors suggested "Math You See" as the best program for kids who need multi-sensory math. I don't know if that's a good fit for you too.
    Best of luck to you.