Help!!

Thread: Help!!

Default Help!!

I am new to T4L. I am working on pulling all of my kiddos out of K12 as it has just gotten to be so stressful. I would like to know though if anyone can advise me on what to do about my special needs child. She is 13 going on 5 and shows that in her academics. The public schools all just say that she will never learn anything other than social skills and household skills and such. They never really tried to teach her anything. She still has to have some kind of education though right! How do I do this? She is in 5th grade, according to the public schools, but she has yet to learn to read, write properly, spell, etc. Do I just continue with the public school grade mess or do I just sign her up for the grade level that I feel will best suit her or what? And how does that effect her moving forward with her education ever? I could use lots of help here please...

Default I feel for you

Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I am new to T4L. I am working on pulling all of my kiddos out of K12 as it has just gotten to be so stressful. I would like to know though if anyone can advise me on what to do about my special needs child. She is 13 going on 5 and shows that in her academics. The public schools all just say that she will never learn anything other than social skills and household skills and such. They never really tried to teach her anything. She still has to have some kind of education though right! How do I do this? She is in 5th grade, according to the public schools, but she has yet to learn to read, write properly, spell, etc. Do I just continue with the public school grade mess or do I just sign her up for the grade level that I feel will best suit her or what? And how does that effect her moving forward with her education ever? I could use lots of help here please...
    Hey giggles, I can honestly say I feel your pain, I am an avid homeschooler of 3 beautiful girls, One is almost 14, one is 11, and "sissy" is almost 6, and like yours she is functioning on a 3 year old level, she knows several preschool things, but if you go according to age she should really be in first grade. She also cannot read nor write, although i work diligently to teach her to do so. She has about 13 words she can read, sight words, but phonics do not work with her, so i do what I can, she is also a computer whiz, I have never found anything she will take to and keep up with like she will something on the computer, so I bought her a laptop, and signed her up for T4L, she started 2 days ago and has almost completed the first level of preschool, in only a few hours, the predesigned lesson plans are wonderful!!!! Oh, yeah, she is also in dire need of speech therapy, and her vocabulary is that of about a 2-3 year old, if that, so she can''t communicate with me like my other two children can. I checked into the K12 and seeing as they do not offer public school tie in with Kentucky, I was going to have to enroll in the private school with tuition of 5000 dollars a year, ummmmm NO. so, I found T4L, and I am amazed with her progress already, so please hang in there, this may be your child's saving grace, you never know, and with a little help from you she may progress quickly as mine has. Keep the faith honey, these kids are capable of more than I ever dreamed. I am so proud of my baby girl. Hope your experience is the same. Holler back if I can help you in any way.

rritchey is offline Junior Member Newbie

My child is 10 and is functioning at about a 6 or 7 year old level. According to public school she is supposed to be in the 5th grade. She was not getting what she needed so I pulled her out. She loves Time4learning. With her we find it is better to do one subject at a time. She has already completed her Science and Social Studies. We are working on Math. By the way we are at a 2nd grade level. Which is working for her. I hope you love the program as much as we do. Good Luck.