Help for Auditory Processing Issues
    RushTX is offline Junior Member

Question Help for Auditory Processing Issues

Hello!
    *NOTE - in this post I'm using DD for my daughter and DH for my husband (and her dad) - even though I may have mentioned names, just using those abbreviations to avoid confusion

Everyone here has been so supportive and helpful. We love T4L! My daughter has been enjoying it, but math has still been a struggle for her. She does well and enjoys the reading and sometimes writing, though her writing is still just bits and pieces, no consistent complete sentences yet. She likes the science I think too.
    Actually, she struggles mostly with basic common sense stuff, due to the fact she has some delays in communication. She had a speech delay for a long while due to blocked ear canals that prevented her from hearing clearly. She hears clearly now, but still seems to have trouble with listening and understanding. And I have trouble understanding her sometimes. Not what she says, but how she says it - I'll try to explain.
    For example we'll be having a conversation, and she'll say something completely unrelated to what we're talking about or completely out of context. She does copy a lot of what she hears, unfortunately a lot of negative stuff she's heard from her older brother. It's like she's not all there at times and we have trouble connecting.
    For a math example - she struggles with very basic stuff, like what number is bigger or smaller (greater than, less than), and had trouble when we were trying to teach her counting by 2s and 5s in chapter 1 of the first grade. But she picks up adding and subtracting quite easily, and she understands it I'm fairly sure. When given some problems, she'll take her pencil and write down dots to help her add, or subtract, she'll make lines and cross out some of them. (Hope that makes sense).
    And unfortunately, I think she is afraid of me because I've been so confused and frustrated, and at times I get a little excited. (I'm going to try very hard not to do that anymore). But knowing she can add and subtract and understands that, then asking her just what number I am pointing at and she tells me a different number? I know she knows her numbers up to 100, so not being able to just tell me what a number is I'm pointing at, I don't get it. ??
    Like a couple days ago we were playing cards - well my husband and I, and my older son and his friend were playing poker. My daughter wanted to play and was upset because I told her I didn't think she would understand it and it was mostly for big kids. Well we let her play with some cards from a discard pile. Then she says, I've got 12! YAY do I win? Cute, yes. And would you believe she is holding these cards: 4, 5, and 3. Now how did she know that added up to 12? We've only done simple addition and subtraction up to 10, and not that much. Only did adding 3 or more numbers once very briefly as well.

My main problem is I don't know what she needs. There's so many resources out there, and I've gotten so much well meant advice - I need help making the right choice. Many homeschoolers say that parents know their kids best. But I'm totally lost! Here's what I have to consider - and need help choosing from:
    *Use Dianne Craft's BIT manual and do those exercises with her?
    *Have her evaluated by a neuropsychiatrist?
    *Have her evaluated by a speech pathologist who also specializes in auditory issues?
    *An auditory processing/listening and learning curriculum? -- if so what??
    *Continue doing Time4Learning (which we will anyway) and skip around more in math? - I thought about jumping ahead a little, although she doesn't seem to understand the basics; maybe we need to move on to what she DOES understand - maybe I am moving too slow and causing her to be confused.

Just so much to think about. This is just a little bit of an example. I just really wish I had a little guidance to help point me in the right direction. I do have a counselor/life coach myself, and I plan to ask her as well. But you all may have more personal experience with this, so I thought I'd ask you first.

Please tell me what you think - your opinions, etc. Like I said, it's mostly what I would call common sense.
    Also - another non-school related example that dad (my husband, her dad) witnessed about a month ago -
    DD is a couple houses down playing with a friend. Dad has met them before, I haven't, but I've seen the girls (and the friend's little brother) playing together and riding bikes. Well I noticed DD playing with this girl, and didn't think anything of it. DD has trouble making friends due to her communication
    difficulties, so I am just thrilled when she finds a friend to play with - she wants friends so badly.
    Well, soon afterward dad comes home from work and walks down to see his girl - and this older lady was in an almost panic because DD had asked her to call her dad. ??? And of course the lady thinks the little girl is lost and is trying to find her parents, and the poor lady is almost frantic. Now keep in mind, DD knows where her home is, and knows I and her brother are home. I don't think she was upset either (DD I mean). I think she just wanted to talk to daddy, and in the moment perhaps saw the lady had a phone. And there may be more to the story than that - DH just told me how she had asked the lady to call her dad, and that the lady was worried, and that made DH kind of panicky too. In the end, I just told DD not to talk to people she doesn't know (unless mom and dad say it is okay). Maybe she was just trying to be friendly and there was some miscommunication. So things like that is why I say she has problems with common sense issues.

Like most all homeschooling parents, I want what is best for my kids. I'm having trouble figuring out what that is, so that's what I need help with. Sorry this post is so long, but I wanted to give you all the best picture I could.

Rushell

marianes is offline Junior Member

I'd say you can't get a clear picture of what she needs until you have a clear picture of what's going on first. Specifically, a psychological & psycho-educational evaluation would be a good start. There's reason to believe she has some auditory processing issues, but you need to be sure that it's really that. You also need to know if there's something else going on and if possible what is causing the auditory processing. For example, is it because of her early hearing issues, or is there something else behind it? You can't know the "how" of helping her if you don't know "what" is holding her back.

In the meantime, she needs acceptance and validation. It's not common sense to her if she doesn't know it. She needs to know that making mistakes is okay, or she'll begin to fear making mistakes. Once a child gets to that point, learning becomes extremely difficult regardless of what their challenges are. Until you can figure out specific academic strategies, you can always work on building her confidence and curiosity through validation and acceptance. That'll lay a strong foundation for whatever academic play you end up choosing.

Good luck!