Help with dyslexia!!!
    startinghomeschool is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Help with dyslexia!!!

Hi there...I am starting to homeschool a child with dyslexia and I need some advice on how to help him read and retain words. He has a hard time retaining what he reads and I would love to find a better way to help him. Any suggestions welcomed!! Thanks.

monicaow020 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I had a similar problem and I bought some books about dyslexia, I suggest same to do.

pjobe is offline Junior Member Newbie

Lightbulb We have a child with dyslexia too. Here are some things we do.

Quote Originally Posted by startinghomeschool View Post
    Hi there...I am starting to homeschool a child with dyslexia and I need some advice on how to help him read and retain words. He has a hard time retaining what he reads and I would love to find a better way to help him. Any suggestions welcomed!! Thanks.

Hi!

We just started homeschooling this year and have two boys who are turning 8 and 9 right now. Our oldest has dyslexia and has always struggled with reading and speech. At the end of his 2nd grade year, with the support of school programs, he was finally tested as reading at a 1.5 grade level. When we started homeschooling, we really struggled with how to teach him reading and as others have suggested, repetition is key for him. One program I want to recommend that has made a HUGE difference for him is Reading Assistant. I found it through the Homeschool Buyers Co-op (it's the only way we could have afforded it) and are so glad we got it! His self confidence is up, he takes initiative to read now and feels like he can do it rather than pitching a fit and fighting us when it came time to read. Here is a link to it: https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.or...ing-assistant/
    We have also had success using flashcards. He loves to make it a game with his brother (or us) to see who can guess the word first and who "wins" the most cards at the end of the game. We do this with spelling words, sight words, whatever we are working on - math, science - we create our own. I've also found that he likes to learn by moving around and getting involved in activities so we try to talk through things together - for example, we were using some spelling words to create a rhyme as part of our classwork the other day. I had him go to the whiteboard and write the 4 words we were going to use in the rhyme on the whiteboard so we could see them (repitition, but he got to move around). We stood up and acted out the "rhyme" as we discussed different options to see which one would work and they loved it! We were all laughing and sort of singing it, which they thought was funny. Once we settled on a rhyme , they sang it over and over again (repitition again) until I stopped them so they could write it on their worksheet.
    Best of luck to you! Over time, I know you will find what works for your son.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, pjobe. As I was reading your comment above, I thought you might like to use SpellingCity. It has a personal flashcard maker that can be used to create online talking flashcards or printable flashcards. Your son can hear and see the word, and even hear it used in a sentence. This is the link for the Spelling City Flashcards.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass