Help for member . . . diagnosing dyslexia?
    hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Help for member . . . diagnosing dyslexia?

This was accidentally posted elsewhere on the site, so I'm moving it for this member.

Hi, I'm new at home-schooling, so I'm still feeling my way around the support system we have in place. I've had this growing concern about the way my granddaugher is learning. I notice it way back when she was in the first grade but, figured she'd grow out of it. She has a tendency to turn her letters around, she uses b's for d's and vice-a-versa, and also with some of her numbers as well. But, what troubles me the most is she has a problem retaining small words like say, this, me, said. She could have just read it in a previous sentence and not remember that same word in the next. When she was in school I mentioned this the staff, and asked she be tested for dyslexia which she wasn't, instead was recommended for an ISP team for additional help. Still she stuggled. She was in the fourth grade, reading and comprehending on a second grade level, constantly stuggling to keep up. That was just one of the reasons I removed her and began home-schooling. The second grade was the jumping off point to start her on. I've seen lots of progress since we've started home-schooling along with the individualized instructions. My question is this; I'm still noticing the same things, How can I find out if she is dsylexic, so I know how to proceed with her education? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, to all of you out there

FROM BROSS61585
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 05-18-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

And a reply from FiveBlessed:

Hi! I'm certainly not an expert, but I'll try to help you out here! Warm welcome!

I think ALL of my five children reversed certain letters when they were learning to write. So, that within itself, does not make a child dyslexic. However, you said that your granddaughter is in the fourth grade now. At this age, you might want to have her tested for dyslexia. I have listed some great sites below to get you started. Some of the sites also offer online testing for dyslexia. Getting a specific diagnosis is the first step in getting over the hump and getting on with the learning process!

I wish you success in finding the answer to your granddaughter's struggles. Please let me know if any of the sites below help in any way. If not, I am more than happy to help you further! Again, I am not an expert when it comes to dyslexia! But, you've come to a great area to find resources! Do you currently use Time4Learning and has that made a difference in your granddaughter's progress? Just curious!

Diagnosing Dyslexia

Dyslexia-The Gift

Dyslexia Test

Bright Solutions for Dyslexia, Inc.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mcmary is offline Member

Hi! My twelve year old daughter reversed some letters and numbers when she was younger. She does not have a dyslexia diagnosis but does have learning challenges. Her primary deficit is visual/spatial and visual/motor due to a medical condition. She started NILD educational during third grade, which helped tremendously. There may be a private practice therapist in your area. Their website is www.nild.net. In terms of a diagnosis I highly recommend a full neuropsychological evaluation with academic recommendations. Your local children's hospital should be able to do one or at least refer you. It is often covered by insurance. Diane Craft's website has some excellent recommendations for helping kids with dyslexia. Specialized one-on-one education is the best! The following websites have some great teaching materials for struggling learners:

www.intervention.schoolspecialty.com
    www.brookespublishing.com
    www.superduperinc.com

Also, the following are programs similar to NILD, which specialize in dyslexia: www.slingerland.org and www.orton-gillingham.com. I hope this helps!

Mary

momnzoes is offline Junior Member

The original post was so much like our own story it was creepy! In a good way. We are now finishing our 3rd year homeschooling and have brought our daughter to near grade-level (4th) with a lot of intensive work. We spent the first year of homeschool just reading and reading and reading-- before we realized there was a definite problem. She too reads small words ( and now some bigger ones) with ease in once sentence and struggles to sound them out in the next. It is sooooooo frustrating. Spelling is still rather creatively phonetic, despite 2 years working with a really good spelling program (The Basic Speller, by Don Cummings). Our challenge with T4L is that Zoe has trouble focusing/ tracking on the words in the Language Arts passages. I downloaded Natural Reader for use with the Social Studies lessons, but it doesn't work with LA. That would be a nice option or the ability to print the LA lessons so she can read them on paper.

We are now in the beginning stages of getting a definite LD diagnosis and the resources you have posted should be a great help, so Thanks, Kelly, for helping.