Hi! Very frustrated with the people I am reporting to.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lovehmschlg

Thread: Hi! Very frustrated with the people I am reporting to.

padawanmeg is offline Junior Member

Default Hi! Very frustrated with the people I am reporting to.

Hi! I'm not on the boards much. I'll try to wrap up my long story so it makes sense. I have a 4th grader who was diagnosed ASD when she was 5 and currently my insurance is not paying for OT and getting her to write is like pulling teeth. She hates the idea of it and it takes forever because of poor muscle tone and she's left handed. Insurance stopped paying for OT a little over a year ago and now we're struggling to get it set up again.

Aside from that we moved into a new district a year ago and the people we were dealing with insisted she needed to be registered with their school which we didn't know at the time was not true and then I ended up in the hospital and my social worker in the hospital threatened to call child services if we didn't register her because he was also misinformed, so my husband ended up registering my daughter. Since then it has been a nonstop headache. Every piece of paperwork I turn in they change, like changing my quarterly report dates, which I thought I could pick myself so long as they were reasonable, but we pick our own schedule. Now when I meet with them and they start pushing a subject that I know my daughter will have a hard time with and I remind them that she is ASD they say she will have to be evaluated by the school's doctors and have an IEP to homeschool. This was all what I was looking to avoid homeschooling! I have never heard of this before. Then they try to pressure me to put my incredibly intelligent child in special Ed which would not even be in the district. I'm so frustrated! Does any of this make sense to anyone or am I just losing my mind? Any helpful ideas? Please no flames I am already very brittle. Thanks in advance!

Djkneisler is offline Junior Member Newbie

Have you tried contacting the State Board of Education - Homeschool correspondent? In Maryland, we have a person in this capacity and that would be who I would reach out to. The school system does not have a right to evaluate your child without your consent and the same goes for the IEP process.
    Sometimes people in the public school systems do not know their job limitations and they overreach and cause problems for parents (sometimes even illegally). With the economy the way it is for the public schools these days and they are desperate for the Federal $$, IEPs have turned into cash cows for public schools.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Wow, I'm so sorry for all you're going through. The schools, and even social services, are often not familiar with the homeschool laws.

I would contact the Homeschool Legal Defense Association as soon as possible http://www.hslda.org/

You would need to become a member, but their attorneys will take care of everything for you. The membership is $120/year and very much worth it.

This is an analysis of the Homeschool law and requirements for the state of New York, taken from the HSLDA website, which is regularly updated: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/new_york.pdf

Best wishes to you!! Let us know how it all turns out!
    wardsagapeschool likes this.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

saecularis is offline Junior Member Newbie

Wow, it sounds to me like the district is bullying you. If your daughter has already been diagnosed, I don't see why the school needs to do their own eval. As for an IEP for homeschool, I have never heard of such a thing.

Has this been resolved? I hope all is well.

christieshaw6875 is offline Junior Member

So incredibly sorry for your struggle! My daughter, 11 now, is also on the spectrum, and very academically on point or above. The early intervention we got here in AL was amazing- in our OLD district, the new one, was years of pulling teeth and watching her backslide due to the chaos of the environment and too little of the services (mainly social) she so badly needed. SO, now that we moved and would've been forced to change schools within the same district, we decided having her home was best- for her. No arguements from our school, but, I really researched first.First thing I learned was Al doesn't actually allow homeschooling. To be legal here, we are registered w a church(there are MANY) that only has an "online" school. We found one that lets us choose any curriculum, and only exists to cover homeschoolers legally, but does have monthly field trips and lets homeschoolers meet others. So, for their fee, THEY do all of the "paperwk" for the state, keeps track of her transcripts, etc.Plus does the extra in-person stuff. I dealt w yrs of IEPs and the headache you are dealing w. Two suggestions- First, my daughter gets social security disability with Medicaid. Maybe look into it- very simple to apply for! Also, check (online) for your state laws for homeschooling- know the law! If you need a church"school" to cover you legally, there are probably plenty of options. Then, THEY deal w the school district, etc, for you. You shouldn't have to go thru this, and I am so sorry for the trouble. Having a special needs child is very special- but very different to "typical" kids. See about what kind of autism groups exist around you- they are a great source of info about the laws!! Best of luck, christie