High-function Autism
    Mamato8 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default High-function Autism

Hello--I'm a new subscriber and after only a few days of working with my younger children, I can see this program works!! I do have a question and I've checked over the other posts but can't seem to find anyone in my situation.
    I have a 17 year-old Junior who is a high-functioning autistic. He is a virtual genius in math and solid number science but his reading/comprehension skills are roughly 6th grade, probably even lower on some days. Is it possible to register my son through this program as an 8th grader or even a 7th grader just to work with the language arts section? Is this a question for the administrators maybe?

Thank you,
    Angie
    Phil. 4:13

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hello, Angie. Welcome!

Time4Learning has a page on educating children with autismthat you might be interested in.

Your son may work in any level appropriate for his needs, and he may work in different levels for different subjects. To request to have his levels adjusted, click on Change Educational Level at the top of this page.

Glad to have you with us!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Mamato8 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks for that super-fast response! Actually, I haven't registered him yet, I started out registering my elementary-aged adopted son, who is M.R., and he's done beautifully. That led me to register my older two adopted children are also have HUGE learning gaps. As I was watching my daughter work it occured to me that this program could probably help my oldest bio-child, I just didn' t know if I was allowed to register him since technically he is not an 8th grader.

Thank you!!!!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

My friend's 16-year-old, who is developmentally disabled, was working on the kindergarten and first grade levels. Time4Learning may be used in the way that best suits your child.

After you register, if you need to adjust the levels, just ask. Sometimes proper placement takes a little bit of experimentation.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

deejsal is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 14 yr old high functioning autistic

We've been using T4L now with our 14 yr old high-functioning autistic son for almost a year. While the public school had him listed as in 8th grade, he has never functioned that high. We pulled him out of school at the end of last year and actually started him during his Spring Break. Based upon standardized tests, I assigned him to 3rd grade. However, he had lots of holes in his academic abilities. Then too, he enjoyed the stories and things at the 2nd grade level so much we had problems keeping him focused on the 3rd grade work. So, I just let him go through all the 2nd grade material, then start back on 3rd grade material. He's doing fine. Finished up all of 2nd grade subjects & 3rd grade science. Now, he's having to finish up the rest of his 3rd grade subjects so he can get to his 4th grade science. He still gets very frustrated with some of the writing assignments since that is one of his weakest areas, but we're pushing on through. We have found T4L very motivating and helpful.

Donna Jo

taiya is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Asperger's kid

Hello! It is nice to hear that there is someone else out there who has a High Functioning Autistic child. My son has Asperger's and is 13 years old working on a 3rd grade level. He could not live up to the expectations of Public school even with an IEP. He is doing much better learning this way without someone hanging over his shoulder and constantly harassing him to get the work done within specific time constraints. I hope all works out with you and your family!

Lucia von Narnia is offline Junior Member Newbie

Just thought I would chime in on the autism thread and get in on the head count. My son has Asperger's. Was home for a few years, now back in school, still likes Time4Learning. I think it works really well for autism.

I hope it works out for you.