Homeschool or ASD school ( Parents of Autism or HS parents chime in please)
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By lovehmschlg
  • 1 Post By bbooth

Thread: Homeschool or ASD school ( Parents of Autism or HS parents chime in please)

AllisonB is offline Junior Member Newbie

Lightbulb Homeschool or ASD school ( Parents of Autism or HS parents chime in please)

Hello All,

I am the parent of a high functioning autistic child that is using the Time4learning and we absolutely love it! I had to pull him out for the first time ever in his local school district because well, they couldn't handle him, everything was too new for him and his needs weren't considered although now they are.. He is in the 5th grade, but finishing his studies online has been a challenge but getting easier.. i have a tutor also working with us..
    The question I have with parents that are homeschooling autistic children is, being that I took him out of public school in February,, he is also home for March, April, May, June, July, August.. Do I send him to an ASD school with a ratio of 8 kids in the specialized classroom, because that's what is working for him as mainstream right now apparently doesn't seem to be working out starting this year.. ORRRRRRR, do I stick with time4learning and homeschool...?? I am really confused on this topic and would like to see if others have had similar experiences.. he is also going through puberty, etc.. Thanks for your opinions...

Allison

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Allison, I moved this post to the Special Needs forum. The parents over here might have some useful information to help0 you make your decisions
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Allison. It's hard to say. Your question is subjective. I mean, it all depends on how you feel about homeschooling. For me personally, homeschooling is the best choice for our daughter and for our family. When she was in preschool she was in a special needs school with a ratio of 2 teachers to 8 students. When she started kindergarten, I brought her home to homeschool in the middle of the school year. I was already homeschooling her twin and older sister.

In my experience she was picking up bad behavior from other kids and imitating that. She has Down syndrome, but is high-functioning. At the time the teacher was expecting her to do things she was not ready for, like puzzles. At her age now, I wouldn't put her in a class, even a small class of 8 students. I think my daughter is learning more at home than she ever would at school because she has one on one attention. I know exactly how to challenge her and when to give her time to practice lessons that are more challenging for her. She is able to work at her own pace at home. She is progressing very well. I also have more time to work with her on life skills. It just seems more natural and more beneficial for her to homeschool our daughter.

I would say that if it is getting easier and he continues to do well, keep him home. If things change or it becomes too much of a challenge for you, can you put him back in school even if the school year has already begun?

I'm hoping parents with children with autism will chime in here.
    MamaToHerRoo and bbooth like this.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

sophiabowaus is offline Junior Member Newbie

How much time do you spend on home schooling with a child with special needs? I hope im doing the right choice for my high functioning ASD child.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Sophiabowaus, my daughter spends about an hour on each subject, but it varies. Some days we only do Language Arts and Math, when we have therapies. I'll also have her do some copy work to practice her penmanship. She likes drawing, so sometimes she'll use the Draw Write Now books to draw and write. She also watches educational shows or movies. And we also go on field trips with our homeschool support group from time to time.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

bbooth is offline Member

My daughter is also on the spectrum and I pulled her out if school to homeschool after three years of constant calls to come pick her up. It was the best decision that I have ever made!

As for your situation, I would give it some time and see what happens and then decide whether your child would benefit more from full time homeschool. My daughter really enjoys the 1:1 attention and seems to be doing better than when she was in public school. Not to mention leaving behind what the other children were teaching her.

As far as how long to actually use T4L daily... that depends on your state laws and also how long your child can stay focused. My daughter, whom is 9, does about an hour or two a day everyday. She has a short attention span and difficulty with comprehension so I break that hour or two into small increments throughout the day. Hope this helps!
    lovehmschlg likes this.

MammaJenny84 is offline Junior Member

Hi Allison! I know it's a difficult question, but what do you think, which option would your child prefer?
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 07-15-2014 at 06:08 PM.