Homeschool child with Asperger's Syndrome?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Homeschool child with Asperger's Syndrome?

momoftwins+1 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Homeschool child with Asperger's Syndrome?

Hi. I am trying to decide whether or not to homeschool my 12 year old son with AS. He has had a horrible time in public school, and private school is not an option. Is there anyone in this situation? Thanks!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

My oldest is 2E- dyslexic/ gifted. He homeschooled grades 5-12. I have a friend who is homeschooling an ADHD 18yo senior (now primarily at community college) and a friend who is homeschooling a PDD-NOS ds who is 16yo and may never be able to live alone.

The great thing about homeschooling is that you can shore up weakness without having your child feel behind and play to his strengths allowing him to feel successful. By the time I brought my ds home we had already worked through issues related to reading, speech and muscle tone. At that point we were still working on issues related to composition and math. The math issues were not resolved until his junior year when he decided they needed to be resolved.

Did you have any specific questions?
    Mandy

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I have two parents in my homeschool group that have children with AS and they think that homschooling is the only way to go. I can't vouch for that, since I have not personally experienced this (my daughter's issues are ADHD/Gifted).
    I can say that the three traits of homeschooling that I like best are:
    (1) the ability to customize eduction according to interests and abilities,
    (2)usually smaller and more controllable social interactions, and
    (3)flexibility of schedules (allowing for good days, bad days, special interest days, scheduling that is driven by the student and parent, as opposed to driven by school systems, and testing dates)
    If those three traits seem like they would be a positive in your son's education, and you are committed to the work and planning that will be required of you as a homeshooling parent, then homeschooling might be worth trying. Remember that you are not signing on to something "forever". You can homeschooling, and if it doesn't work, then you can try something else. If you try it and you love it, then it was well worth the experiement!
    I hope our comments help in some way. Let us know what you decide.
    Chutz likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default Hello

I have a grandson, 5 with high functioning aspbergers and we love this program. good luck. I like you, cant do our public school system either. Gl.
    tatianasmith12 likes this.

I'm new to Home-schooling- My 15yo with AS has been in public school (the last 3 years in a charter school) with periodic difficulty form class to class- transitions, teachers that don't 'get it' despite the IEP in place and lest we forget the subversive bullying that takes place. Faced with our local high school as my only option - I can't afford private- My husband and I decided we would home school.
    So my teenager is slowly coming along. I'm learning how to instruct him, and how smart he really is at figuring out a way to not have to work too hard . I keep hearing that it'll take a month for every year he was in a traditional school setting to 're-train' him. I can certainly see it.
    I think this is going to work - as long as he stops asking me for lunch at 11:58 - everyday, even though he only ate breakfast @ 10:45 - aspies...........

cmf2005 is offline Junior Member

We were fortunate to be in a school district that utilized a variety of classroom dynamics. However, our son's needs were beyond what they (the teachers and faculty) could handle. He has Aspergers and ADHD.

So, instead of waiting for ANOTHER phone call to come help assist with a tantrum, we pulled him from school. It was the end of the year and we were rather fortunate enough to make it to the end of 3rd.

Our son was given as much attention and coping strategies as the staff could muster. It just was. not. working.

I felt defeated. I **know** that our son is smart, funny, and kind. BUT at school, a switch would flip....... and it was hell.

So, like I stated, we pulled him. AND THE SEARCH WAS ON! What program should I try? Should he be enrolled into K12, or Connections Academy? Should he be at the desk OR should the program be online? AND, the final question; How much will this cost?

Luckily, our school district went a step further and posted (online) EXACTLY what the 4th grade students were learning for the year. We had a starting point. Then Google became my best friend. I found Time4Learning. It closely followed what my son was going to learn in the district. Only downside, Texas History wasn't available on this site. THAT wasn't a problem (I could find readers and small projects to mimic what the district was doing).

So, to sum it up......................

............ THIS PROGRAM IS SOOOOOO WORTH IT. We set the schedule. We rearrange the schedules for bad days. We have MORE flexibility to take our son to his doctor appointments. WE have 'breathing room'.

So far, my son is pulling high grades and LOVES the relaxed atmosphere. HUGS and I hope you are able to find a program that fits your needs!

TwiMom is offline Junior Member

My 13 yo has AS and we have been homeschooling since pre-K. Of course we didn't have a diagnosis of AS or anything else until he was 8.5. We (meaning I) decided to homeschool when I was pregnant and I am so glad I did because when our son was born, I KNEW something was different.

I found T4L when my son was younger in Pre-K, but we didn't have the money then to venture using it. Now though, I think it is time to include it in our homeschooling adventure as our son is dyslexic and is still not reading well. At least with this program we can pick and choose his grade levels just like we do with his regular curriculum. He is in lower level math and LA but upper level (middle/high) history and science.

We also incorporate Minecraft school in his daily schedule.
    MamaToHerRoo, TymansMom and Chutz like this.

monnalu is offline Member

My now 43 year old son has AS, but only diagnosed in recent years. He was public schooled and had interpersonal difficulties every year--with students and the majority of teachers. I wish I had understood his issues better--I just knew he was "wired" differently than most people. I barely graduated as he was bored to death. He researched extensively on subjects that interested him--primarily in the days befor Google and the internet, so he lived at the library. I wish I had homeschooled him because I believe I could have incorporated needed information about those subjects he did not like into lessons in subjects that interested him. He is a college graduate with a degree in computer game programming.

I now homeschool my 9 year old granddaughter with some evidences of AS, but really many symptoms of Central Auditory Processing Disorder. We use T4L and her main interests are science and math. We use those subjects as a starting point for language arts and social studies. So far it is working. She will complete 4th grade work by mid-January and then start 5th grade. She is enrolled in a public charter school, but we are allowed to choose our own curriculum as long as it meets California standards as a minimum so we use T4L. She has never fought me to do school work like she all last year. (Last year was OJT for me to learn how she learned).

Good luck, but in my opinion, most children would benefit from home schooling compared to public school.
    Chutz likes this.

aussie62 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi my daughter is 11 and we have been using t4l. I love this program and she likes that its animated. I do however supplement math as this is her weakest subject. She does very well just using this as her core curriculum. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do. Good Luck

raesrose is offline Junior Member

Hi - I pulled my son from school in the middle of 1st grade. He has Asperger's, ADHD, dyspraxia. School was hell for him, and the constant phone calls, etc. They did their best, but they simply cannot meet the needs of our special kids. We started Time4Learning and it worked very well for him - he is a visual learner and loves the videos. He became my sweet child again once all the stress and judgment of public school was gone. Peaceful house again (as peaceful as a house with ABC kids will be! lol) We then tried some other programs for a few years, but on re-evaluating what had worked and not worked for him, he ASKED to do Time4Learning again, so this year here we are!! Please yes homeschool your special needs child. Dig all over the internet - there is so much info and help and encouragement out there! You can do this! - Rae
    Chutz likes this.
    mama to one college-age dd and one special needs ds, age 6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast