Homeschool gifted teen with Lyme disease
    Carriekaye is offline Junior Member

Default Homeschool gifted teen with Lyme disease

Hi guys. Anyone else homeschooling a kid with a chronic multisystem disease like Lyme?

My 16 y/o is a senior. She has had lyme for at least 5 years, though like most, she was misdiagnosed for years. She also has bartonella, and babesia. She couldn't handle brick and mortar school. We tried virtual school last year, and she got to the point where she couldn't handle that either... cannot keep up with the schedule and cannot type assignments.

She sleeps 12-16 hours/day. Chronic headaches. Chronic nausea. Chronic sore throat. Joint pain so bad that she cannot write or type a paper.

Before lyme, she was a gifted, outgoing, athlete. She was on track to graduate a year early. Since lyme, she's lonely, cannot participate in sports, and cannot physically do class assignments or even make it to classes. I have a girl with a very high IQ who feels useless and is scared that she'll never be able to take care of herself.

Anyway.. we just started time4learning. I'm hoping that her being able to do lessons in her own time frame will be easier on her. Additionally, she needs to be able to do oral exams instead of writing, which I can do with the way the curriculum is delivered. I'm hopeful that she'll feel like she's actually making progress and accomplishing something in her life.

Anyone else trying to educate a kid with severe chronic illness? How are you handing things?

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, CarrieKaye.
    Welcome to Time4Learning.

It sounds like your daughter has had to go through quite a change. My daughter has tried virtual school in the past, and you're right, it can be overwhelming if you're not able to keep up with their schedule for whatever reason. We love the flexibility that T4L affords us. Although I cannot relate to her symptoms, we have our own special needs here with our own daughter. I think T4L will be a good fit for your daughter, as well. Hopefully someone else will chime in here and give you some tips, or just help you know you're not alone.

Best wishes to you and your daughter. I look forward to seeing you around the forums again.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Thanks Janet.

Well, we've been using T4L for about 6 weeks now. So far, the program is working very well for us. I love that I can modify assignments (particularly letting her do oral quizzes instead of some written assignments), and even let her skip assignments if I decide it's appropriate. My daughter is handling T4L better than anything we've tried in the past. In 6 weeks, she's finished an entire semester in one class, and is ahead of schedule in 2 others.

Before we found T4L, I was starting to worry that she wouldn't be able to finish high school at all. But now it's looking like she may be able to graduate with the rest of her 2015 class, even after missing an entire semester last year. Even if it takes her a few extra months to get in all the credits she needs, I'm still ecstatic that she is back on track toward graduation.

Hi, Carrie.

That's wonderful. What a relief it must be for her to be able to work at her own best pace without the added stress of deadlines or trying to keep up. Will your daughter be going back into school before the end of the school year to graduate with her class?

My daughter just finished homeschool high school last June. We've always homeschooled. We had a small graduation at our church with five of her friends who also 'graduated'. The girls helped organize the whole thing. Each of them had different colored graduation gowns of their choice. The parents gave a short 5-minute presentation/slide show of the homeschool years and then we handed them the diplomas we each created for our girls. This year is my son's turn. Since I did it all last year, this year will be a little easier. I felt like I was scrambling at the end of last year to get the slide show, the graduation party, ceremony and trip done before June...oh, and getting our transcript done in time to turn in to the college before registering for classes. I remember being so scared of homeschooling high school, but it wasn't too bad at all. And I'm happy to see my daughter doing well in college now.
    Janet

No, Janet, we have no plans for her to go back into the public school. She cannot handle the schedule or the physical demands of brick-and-mortar school. She will graduate from home school. I haven't decided how to handle graduation yet, but both of my daughter's best friends will be graduating from home school this year... so maybe we will do something for the three of them together. I hadn't really thought of that, thank you for the idea.

I'm happy that this has worked so well for your family.

I wrote about her graduation on my blog in a couple of posts. You might be able to use some of the ideas my daughter and her friends had. One of the posts includes a slide show.
    My blog address is under my signature, if you want to look at it.
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 11-15-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    Janet