Homeschool help

Thread: Homeschool help

Ann
    Ann is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Homeschool help

Hello, my name is Beverly. My husband and I have an 8 year old son with Autism Spectrum Disorder. We are thinking of homeschooling him for 4th grade. He is currently in public school. We need help on how to start, the best programs. We live in Prince Georges County, MD.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hello Ann!

Here is T4L info that might help you: "Homeschooling Your Autism Spectrum Child"

Special Needs Learning

About 20% of the members of T4L are made up of special needs learners. Have your child try some of the lesson demos to get a feel for the program. Also, when you sign up for T4l, your child actually has access to 3 grade levels. This is great when they are ahead in one subject and maybe a little behind in another. For example, if your child is assigned to grade 4 as his main learning level, he will have access to grades 3, 4, and 5 within every subject! I LOVE this feature.

T4L offers a money back guarantee, so you can't loose.

Here is info about homeschooling in your state.

Here is a great e-book about how to homeschool. It is comprehensive without being overwhelming.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Ann
    Ann is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for your info. It was very useful. I looked at the T4L very briefly. My concern is that currently my son is not at a "regular" 4th grade level. He has a modified curriculum in public school right now and struggles with trying to keep up with his classmates. He has a dedicated aid that assists him with all his core subjects. His reading level is between kindergarten and 1st grade. How do I pick a curriculum from T4L that is geared to my son's level of understanding. I can't see him thriving in his studies without simplified lessons. Is this program still the best for my son?

reb621 is offline Member

Ann, I pulled my 3 from public school 2 years ago (this is our 2nd year homeschooling, though we have to go year-round with long weekends and holidays) and began Time4Learning last spring. So we've been at T4L nearly 1 year, put the older two WAY BACK (6th and 5th graders who had to go back to 2nd because they were doing so poorly in 4th...then 3rd...). They did very well in 2nd (all A's!), so I moved them up to 3rd in each subject here in T4L. Now all three are done with 3rd, two are about halfway through 4th, and one is ready for 5th! (Currently in 7th, 6th, and 4th grades.) My older two were quite delayed, my youngest was on track (now ahead).

All of this is to say that we put the kids in the level where they needed to be at that time. They succeeded, felt good about themselves, and wanted to move on. Now they struggle a bit, and there are some subjects I just have to let go (science and social studies in T4L is too hard since it's not interactive/video. So we watch Netflix movies and attend co-op classes in our town for Science. We also use Story of the World for history.) We also do worksheets as needed for various subjects (superteacherworksheets.com).

If your guy's reading comprehension and literacy (word recognition) is at 1st grade level, start him there. It's cute and fun. But if it's too easy, just click the "Change my child's grade level" button on the parent account page and move him up to 2nd. If it's still too easy, move him up to 3rd, etc. You might also find that you need 4th or 5th grade math, but 1st grade language arts. I THINK this is possible, though I haven't tried that wide of a stretch myself. Maybe a moderator could elaborate.

Good luck!
    Last edited by reb621; 01-18-2012 at 07:33 PM.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Ann, you can set your son's level at 1st grade and he will have access to K, 1, and 2 within each subject here at T4L. If he finds something too easy, move on to the next lesson. If he fails a quiz or lesson activity, go back and review it. There is no timetable with homeschooling. Go slowly. Repetition is key. Some lessons have worksheets and activities to reinforce the lesson. I think you will most likely find he can do the lessons with your help at the K-1 level.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

sandypie is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Me too Beverly!

Quote Originally Posted by Ann View Post
    Hello, my name is Beverly. My husband and I have an 8 year old son with Autism Spectrum Disorder. We are thinking of homeschooling him for 4th grade. He is currently in public school. We need help on how to start, the best programs. We live in Prince Georges County, MD.
    I also have an 8 year old son with ASD his comprehension when he read was not great or I should say next to nothing.I am so proud of my son, and this is coming from a child that teachers said "we are not sure where to put him, he's great with reading but with Kindergarden comprehension" blah blah blah OK so if you dont know I will.... GOODBYE school! They had already put him back a grade for low comprehension, I wasnt going to keep doing this to him. Last year was his last year of reg school and here i am so very happy. T4L is great the program helped my son comprehend what he read and in about 3 months he was on track with the program!!

ladydi63 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Joyfully Jackie gave you the best advice you can get, "There is no timetable with homeschooling." I have two daughters with special needs; Time for learning is visual and engaging. They can work at their own level and I supplement with other sites like 'Ticket to Read' which gives short reading passages where they earn ticket to buy virtual prizes, and EdHelper for additional worksheets at your son’s level. There are so many sites that are free and can be used to supplement or revue a lesson from Time4learning. Take your time, tailor to your sons needs. One more thing I found helpful, in your home school, you might want to make your own IEP (Individual education Program) this will allow you to measure your sons progress, reports cards just are not adequate for special needs kids. Good Luck, and God bless you!